Cleaning Odours Out Of Cubes.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingbrownbrewing

Reaction score
I have some cubes that stink of god know what was in them, is there any way or chemical I can use to get the stink out?

They are food grade.

Cheers

PBW for 24 hrs, then repeat for another 24 hours if still stinky. I would use slightly more PBW than usual. If that doesn't de-stink them, then I wouldn't be putting any wort in them....

Cheers

Do as nick said and once rinsed out, leave them in the sun to dry out. Will get rid of most smells.

1/4 fill cube with water
add 1/2 cup of uncented bleach
shake
let soak
shake

Repeat over a day or so giving them a shake when you walk past them.

Tip bleach solution down drain or on bad neighbours lawn :p

rince with fresh water.

The smell is bacteria..... bleach will kill near anything.

I usually take the seal out of the cube lid and put it in the cube with the bleach. When you shake it a little bit leaks out which is good cause it will do all up inside the lid and cap thread too!

if it still stinks after a 24 hr bleach bath....... throw in bin and buy new cube.

easy!

I usually take the seal out of the cube lid and put it in the cube with the bleach. When you shake it a little bit leaks out which is good cause it will do all up inside the lid and cap thread too!

Great idea :)

Guess it's easy to get the seals back out

i usually just do the same as tony but i use nappisan as it will break down old scum stuck on the side on if it too.

mate, the suggestions here will most likely delete your stink, but I'm worried about the "god knows what was in them" part of your post.

Do you know what was in them? If you dont know exactly what the previous contents of those cubes was..... chuck em in the bin for god's sake and find some whos history you are sure of.

unscented woolies nappysan for a week.

rinsing them out after empting them works too :p

I'd follow the napisan/bleach with sodium perc or sodium bicarbonate and vinegar.

I'd follow the napisan/bleach with sodium perc or sodium bicarbonate and vinegar.

Cleaning vinegar, the distilled stuff. Get it at Woolies for about 3 bucks for 2 litres.

Great idea :)
Guess it's easy to get the seals back out
I forget who but someone posted a tip not long ago for getting the seal out
of the cap - trying to use something sharp to pry it out = bad idea.

Anyway, the trick is to hold the cap and give it a quick whack against a table top
(over a tea towel maybe) and the seal simply pops down and out.

I forget who but someone posted a tip not long ago for getting the seal out
of the cap - trying to use something sharp to pry it out = bad idea.

Anyway, the trick is to hold the cap and give it a quick whack against a table top
(over a tea towel maybe) and the seal simply pops down and out.

Yup, did that the other day, works brilliantly :)

Now I know how to clean them too... just throw them in the cube! duh.

20L cubes for $6 ... cheaper than the time & effort trying to de-stink them !

My vote goes with thirsty boy. Unless cubes are super expensive where you are (significantly more than the time and extra cleaners required) I'd not even consider it if I didn't know what was in them beforehand.

To clean anything I did know out of them, I would use hot sodium percarb solution and a good soak. Rinse and smell. Also run clean, hot water through and taste the water. If it tastes wrong, repeat a couple of times. If it still tastes wrong, see it as a time wasting exercise and buy new cubes.

Back