Cleaning new copper immersion chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbosher

Reaction score
I've recently aquired a new copper immersion chiller. I've been reading some posts where people say it should be cleaned before the first use to remove oxidation, others say don't bother, just use water.

Those that do clean, have recommend all sorts of solutions from distilled white vinegar to tomato sauce (yes you read that correctly). I also read that starsan can be used due to it's acidity.

What to you use? Do you even bother? Has anyone tried starsan? I've got plenty of the stuff. :)

Also, when adding the 0 minute addition, do you cool immediately or wait 15 minutes or so before cooling?

If you going to say something like "try searching", don't bother posting. I have searched, and done some reading on both of these subjects, just after some opinions.

hot water soak with citric acid from the baking area of the supermarket will clean up the copper nicley

but it's going to oxidise again

All I ever do with mine is to give it a good hose down straight after removal from the kettle, then store it till next use.
Never bothered with anything else. Still going strong 6 years down the track.

Maheel said:
hot water soak with citric acid from the baking area of the supermarket will clean up the copper nicley

but it's going to oxidise again
First use I would clean with citric acid

warra48 said:
All I ever do with mine is to give it a good hose down straight after removal from the kettle, then store it till next use.
Never bothered with anything else. Still going strong 6 years down the track.
Once you have used it in the boil I would just do what warra says as long as you drop it into the wort 10 to 15 mins before flame out.
Cheers

dicko said:
First use I would clean with citric acid

Once you have used it in the boil I would just do what warra says as long as you drop it into the wort 10 to 15 mins before flame out.
Cheers

What's the benefit of putting your coil in before flame out?

I hose after using and a quick wipe over before going in the kettle letting it sit for the last 10 mins of the boil to sterilise, having said that it but buggers up my boil, and takes an additional 8-10 mins to bring it back to the rolling boil,

Contemplating pre sanitising and dropping it in at 0 min.

Normally start chilling within 5 min of flameout

kahlerisms said:
I drop it in 10 to 15 minutes before flameout to sanitise it through the boil process.
Wouldn't want to drop it in as is at flameout.

kahlerisms said:
To kill any baddies that might have attached themselves to it since the last time it was used.

Edit: Beaten by warra

Like warra & others I dropped the coil in at 15 minutes to sterilise & now do similar with my plate chiller (20 min).
Tried for years to clean the coil with various acids (including leaving in a tub of vinegar & water) but eventually gave up & just did a quick hose after using as mentioned above.

Re the OP's flameout question ---- I take it you're referring to the "0" hop addition? If so, chill to 80 deg c, add hops, then sit for 20 minutes before re-commencing chilling.

If you put it in your kettle 10 to 15 minutes our from flame out, you also get the added benefit of copper being introduced to the wort, which in trace amounts can aid fermentation as yeast requires trace amounts of copper for its metabolism. There is also copper in some enzymes that are essential for normal cellular function and is a trace element in many proteins.

It is worth noting that copper in high concentrations can act as a fungicide (hence its use in spraying of fruit trees), and can also cause yeast toxicity. Too much also isn't too flash for humans, severe cases can lead to liver cirrhosis and neurological impairment. Not that you are likely to reach toxic levels by boiling you immersion chiller.

JD.

warra48 said:
I drop it in 10 to 15 minutes before flameout to sanitise it through the boil process.
Wouldn't want to drop it in as is at flameout.
Ah, of course. Thanks for the answer to the silly question :)

Thanks guys. So it seems that it's recommended cleaning in citric acid before the first use, and then just a general clean thereafter.

As for the 0 min hop addition, why do some just add the hops and chill immediately, but TP recommends chilling to 80 first?

different processes will lead to different results. do what you like :)

Back