Cleaning My Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_sa

Now in 3V
Reaction score
Having just obtained another 120 Stubbies, I am in need to clean them all......

I only sterilise my bottles when i first get them, Then after i drink the contents, i rinse with Hot Hot water, then allow to dry on my drying stands....

I have a container of ":bottle cleaning powder"which is like a detergent if u ask me, I mix 1tsp with 4.5L hot water, And then i have to rinse, Normally i only have to do about 20-30- at a time, Not 120

I use my bottle brush.... And these bottles i have are pretty dusty,

What would you reccomend cleaning them all with? I was thinking maybe some unscented bleach, Fill em up with a diluted soloution, Or should i just stick to the same way i have been doing them (and use up about 2 hours of brewing time :(

How do you guys normally sterilise and clean your bottles?

Cheers
Ben

Big tub full of bleach water

I have been told, and am testing this out, that pink stain is shit hot for cleaning bottles, really shifts the yeast muck on the bottles

JM

It is :) I've found bleach to be alright, but pink steri is great!

I fill a 57L rubbish bin with 30L worth of water and 8 teaspoons of pink steri. I've got some really disguisting bottles, leaving them in the rubbish bin for a week results in sparkling clean bottles with the labels soaked off :)

Is this pink steri/stain the same as Brewiser Neo Pink - which is not pink at all, but is a chlorine based "washing and serilising powder - ideal for glassware"?

One cunning trick is to get another bottle brush, preferably one with a shaft between the brush and the handle.

Cut the handle off, and shove that end in your drill chuck!

Motorised bottle cleaning for those really, really bad ones.

As for soaking, I use the Pink detergent as well. Soak the bottles in it for a few days then give them a good rinse. I also have one of those ''bottle push-down squeezey pump'' things (I'm sorry, a more lucid description just doesn't come to hand) that I use to sterilise with Idophor just before I use the bottles.

Trev

I soak my new bottles for a day or two in a mix of 40:1 water/pool chlorine. Absolutely rips out all the muck. Have to rinse a bit though afterwards, but no scrubbing required :)

i think ill have a shot at using the bleach, Throw it in an old bin (plastic) and leave for a few days

Hopefully thats a good way to get the labels off my bloody crown lager bottles too!!! That way no more overflows when bottling lol

Cheers
Ben

I use the bulk dishwashing powder we get from "Mr Dishwasher".
Works a treat, also does a good job a shifting PS labels off champers bottles

Back