Cleaning Mk II Pump?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingggo

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Any tips for cleaning these? I've removed the black plastic head and a bit of residue inside. Do I dump both plastic parts in sodium perc? And dip the metal end of the pump in too?

Cheers!
B

Just the two plastic parts, remove the O-ring also. Don’t put the metal (magnet) part of the pump in water it will cause corrosion.

I used to just pump star san through my pump, until one day I dismantled my pump and to my horror discovered trub/hops caught up. I now pull my pumps apart after each brew session. I also hook up my pump to my fermenter which has star san/phosphoric acid (K.K) and sanitize the pump and fermenter before pumping the wort into the fermenter.

I used to just pump star san through my pump, until one day I dismantled my pump and to my horror discovered trub/hops caught up. I now pull my pumps apart after each brew session. I also hook up my pump to my fermenter which has star san/phosphoric acid (K.K) and sanitize the pump and fermenter before pumping the wort into the fermenter.
This is because star san is not a cleaner...

Cleaners - heaps to choose from: perc based (straight perc, napisan, pbw, etc) pink stain remover, bleach?, detergents, etc. None of these are good for sanitisers except maybe the perc when it is re-done with boiling hot water (after all the crud has been cleaned/ scraped/ wiped/ rinsed off). Often needs mechanical scrubbing or at least agitation.

Sanitisers - also heaps to choose from: acid based, alcohol based, iodi(de|ne) based, hydrogen peroxide, bleach, boiling hot water... presumably more. Other than the bleach, none of these are good to clean with.

Cleaners + sanitisers (because someone will bring this up): only one I know of is oxyper (perc + hydrogen peroxide). But I wouldn't assume the same "clean" wash will also sanitise. And since it has perc in it (which breaks down into sodium carbonate) I wouldn't treat it as a no-rinse sanitiser - so it would need rinsing with boiled hot water anyway.

John Palmer does a good write up:
Cleaners: http://howtobrew.com/book/section-1/brewing-preperations/sanitation/cleaning-products
Sanitisers: http://howtobrew.com/book/section-1/brewing-preperations/sanitation/sanitizing-your-equipment

As a side note, I love the reaction between sodium perc and lupulin... I drop a (used) sponge or stainless steel scrubby into hot perc and all of a sudden the water goes a BRIGHT yellow/green. Although that love is also somewhat tempered because it's usually at the end of a 7-12hr brew day and my wife is doing that thing with her eyes.

I dismantle my pump heads, I find more the issue of trapped water inside no matter how long you cleaned for etc will grow mould eventually. I’m planning on installing my pumps on a hinge eventually so I can tip them up to drain out the suction port and see if that works. But yeah, let you’re pump heads dry adequately after cleaning....

I dismantle my pump heads, I find more the issue of trapped water inside no matter how long you cleaned for etc will grow mould eventually. I’m planning on installing my pumps on a hinge eventually so I can tip them up to drain out the suction port and see if that works. But yeah, let you’re pump heads dry adequately after cleaning....
Simple pull out slide tray and flip over (comes with handy lefty-loosey / righty-tighty) instructions so I don't twist the cables out the back.

Also some voile over the holes to keep out the ants/spiders/mud wasps/earwigs/cockroaches. Had all before, never again if I can help it.

IMG_20180104_215351.jpg

I tried the clean in place method with hot sodium perc. Still had crap in in the pump head and trapped in the threads of fittings. They come appart easily anyway. Just becarefull that the magnetic head is well dried or the aluminum pump body will corrode.

I've just been using PBW or Tricleanium CIP, followed by hot water collected in a glass jug - if I see sediment in the runoff I'd clean it again, but so far the rinse water is always completely clear. Before use it also gets a rinse with hot water as I also use it to rinse out my various hoses before use.

I've only pulled apart the pump once and that was to install the stainless head.

I pull apart each time to wash and dry. Just need to be careful with the screws not to over tighten as they'll strip pretty easily.

The voile is a good idea for cockroaches, I need to do that on my kettle valve. I might have added a cockroach to my last Rye IPA.

Thanks for all the tips. I mentioned putting two plastic parts in sodium perc. There are actually three plastic parts plus the o-ring - hopefully they're all good in there :) Am contemplating a stainless steel head though, as one of the plastic parts seems slightly abraded in a spot...

Thanks for all the tips. I mentioned putting two plastic parts in sodium perc. There are actually three plastic parts plus the o-ring - hopefully they're all good in there :) Am contemplating a stainless steel head though, as one of the plastic parts seems slightly abraded in a spot...

I think the plastic is fine if you keep it clean.

The main issue with the plastic heads I think is that once you've screwed a stainless fitting to it (cam lock or disconnect), you can't really ever remove it. But if you don't remove it, then you'll be fine.

What I've done is bought some longer srews, cut the heads off and turned them into studs, much better.

Also disassemble pump after each use.
20180105_112136.jpg

Latest posts

Back