Cleaning Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Iguana

Reaction score
i have some 19L kegs which haven;t been cleaned for a while, the sediment seems to be stuck onto the bottom around the spear...

Whats the best way to clean them up, is bleach ok or will this pit the SS?

Don't use bleach, it will stuff them. Just soaking doesn't work?

I'd try a bottle brush and some detergent

I use caustic soda/dishwashing detergent with a kettle full of boiling water.

DO NOT USE BLEACH ON STAINLESS STEEL! It pits the surface and can cause pin holes around welds.

ive also used cellarman beer line cleaner a few times with a following rinse of hot water.works a treat in lifting sediment etc.karcher water blaster can also help. ;)

cheers
big d

Green Iguana said:
i have some 19L kegs which haven;t been cleaned for a while, the sediment seems to be stuck onto the bottom around the spear...

Whats the best way to clean them up, is bleach ok or will this pit the SS?
For straightforward cleaning I use sodium percarbonate (Napisan active ingredient). If I want to get nasty I use sodium hydroxide (just be very careful).

I use the Nappysan as well - works a treat. So far I haven't had to resort to anything else other than caustic for their first clean when I got them.

Trev

To clean all my homebrew equipment I have been using Ega Disinfectant Cleanser (Alkaline Salts 600g/Kg)

Would this be suitable to clean my kegs now as well or should I get something different because of the stainless steel.

Thanks

Alkaline salts is the active stuff in beerline cleaner mate. No probs.
Ensure you are sanitising with an acid rinse though otherwise the PH won't be neutral and it will be clean but dirty if you know what I mean.

Dave

Speaking of cleaning kegs...how to clean the valves?

Do you guys force your cleaning solution thru the pickup tube and valve with gas or do you disassemble and clean the valves by hand?

PZ.

I clean my kegs with keg and line cleaner and then run some of this solution through my lines and tap/gun with pressure (about 100kpa). Tip out any remaining cleaning solution from keg and rinse with clean water and run some clean water through my lines/tap etc under pressure. This seems to work well.

Cheers
:beer:
Mothballs

I use Pink stain/powder its what the pub industry uses. Put some in you keg fill it up with water and forget it for 2 days, sanitise and away you go. Comes up like brand new. It is also great for cleaning taps beer line etc. Have been using it for a couple of years no prob. Best of all safe as to use with stainless, glass etc.

:beer:
BS

I too use pink stain, it works perfect.
I use it to clean my beer glasses in the washing machine too, the glasses come out looking brand new, along with the dishwasher :D

Back