Cleaning Kegs After Sour Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happyrock

Reaction score
So I made the trip to the Sunshine Coast to get my kegs and beer fridge out of storage. I discovered two of my kegs had liquid in them. One contained some sanitizer and the other was half full of sour beer. It's been sitting in a hot shed for a year and a half. Don't remember what the beer is. Anyway just wondering if its ok to continue using the keg. Can I just change all the gaskets and give it a good clean and sanitise? Or will it just infect future beers?

So I made the trip to the Sunshine Coast to get my kegs and beer fridge out of storage. I discovered two of my kegs had liquid in them. One contained some sanitizer and the other was half full of sour beer. It's been sitting in a hot shed for a year and a half. Don't remember what the beer is. Anyway just wondering if its ok to continue using the keg. Can I just change all the gaskets and give it a good clean and sanitise? Or will it just infect future beers?

i had the same thing a while back.
probably dont need to do the seals etc, i didnt, just a really good clean and soak.
but if you have new seals etc then yes do the lot.
it will be fine after that,
good soak for a couple of days for the keg will do the job.
fergi

Thanks fergi that's good news. I have a spare set of seals so I might just change them.

Keep the seals in a labelled zip bag in case you want to ever brew lambics.

I know I'm not the best influence, but I would only really be worried about infecting some special long term kegged beer like a two year old RIS or something. That is, unless you store kegged beer warm for extended periods.

Hey dicko. At the moment I'm using sodium percarbonate for cleaning and starsan for sanitising. Been using starsan for a while now with great results. Big fan of the 5 star products.

Brew more sours ;)

But yeah, I'd suggest to replace the seals, better safe than sorry. Then give it a soak in PBW then a good sanitiser.

Hey dicko. At the moment I'm using sodium percarbonate for cleaning and starsan for sanitising. Been using starsan for a while now with great results. Big fan of the 5 star products.

That sanitiser in the link above will destroy any odour that may be present and I would be very surprised if you had any odour if you soak the posts and seals as well.
If you follow the instructions it is still "no rinse" the same as Starsan if mixed at the correct rate.
I have found that the Starsan products are very good as sanitisers and extremely cost effective as well.
Again. no affiliation etc. etc.
Sodium Perc is a good general cleaner for HB applications.

Cheers

Back