Cleaning keg system

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghizo

Reaction score
Just about to set up my keggerator, I have a question about cleaning?
I am setting up two taps for cleaning the beer lines do I use the same no suds cleaner I use in my fermenter? Then sanitise with no rinse sanitiser?
Also after you have a beer do you need to clean the lines if it will be a few days till you have another? Or just clean the tap with hot soapy water
My thoughts were to use an empty keg or get smaller keg to wash cleaners through the lines or is there a better way to do this?
First brew should go in keg next weekend looking forward to trying it

Thanks in advance for help

Tim

Hi, you will love having a couple of beers on tap. You only need to clean the lines between brews, just clean the outside of the taps between drinking sessions. You can get special keg and line cleaner but just use the stuff you wash your fermenter in, like sodium percarbonate etc. make sure you rinse them out before putting beer back in there. I find the bisexual carbonator caps and a soft drink bottle bottle a good way to flush cleaner through the lines, just half fill with cleaner then pressurize with gas then connect the liquid line and turn it upside down and gas will push it through. Let it soak for a bit then flush it out and rinse/sanitize the lines and tap.
Dave

You can get away with removing an empty keg and connecting a new one without flushing the lines everytime but thats up to each person. There is no question that regular cleanliness is the best. Flush the lines after every keg and dismantly and clean the taps, say every third keg? that's me anyway. Depends on the beer too. Darker beers with more body accumulate malt and goo in the taps more than very clear pales etc.

professional_drunk said:
Or you can rotate your soda water tap to clean between beers.
What and taint your soda wirh beer flavour? !

I have a hills 2Litre garden sprayer with liquid post screwed on. Fill with solution pump and presto. Though the bisexual carbonater caps sound good.

Like this

2013-09-25 13.12.30.jpg

7346-carbonation-cap-line-cleaning-cap-counter-pressure-filler-ball-lock-keg-corny-keg-clean-beer-lines.jpg

This is awesome for cleaning lines, with 2L pepsi or coke bottle. Suits liquid or gas disconnects, and you can fill the bottle with what ever you like eg starsan, no-rinse sanitiser, or water for a flush. They can also counter pressure fill pet bottles. Seriously get one, I use mine all the time. There is a vid on the Keg King website too.

Do you have to crank the pressure right up to use those caps?

Just ordered a carbonation cap thanks for the advice

You guys are great. Ive got a carbonation cap sitting at home doing nothing. what a great way to clean my beer lines and taps. Thanks

Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YK1-7mHk48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XS3Auf4INo

Dae Tripper said:
7346-carbonation-cap-line-cleaning-cap-counter-pressure-filler-ball-lock-keg-corny-keg-clean-beer-lines.jpg

This is awesome for cleaning lines, with 2L pepsi or coke bottle. Suits liquid or gas disconnects, and you can fill the bottle with what ever you like eg starsan, no-rinse sanitiser, or water for a flush. They can also counter pressure fill pet bottles. Seriously get one, I use mine all the time. There is a vid on the Keg King website too.
Hey DT ... Were these from evilbay or part of a BB ..

Interested in something like these :D

Yup love this product AND I can carbonate water for the others.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQg8Qb3OS7U[/media]

Back