Cleaning Glasses

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muga

Reaction score
G'day,

Just wondering what method people use to clean their beer glasses?

I have used a wide range of methods and still trying to figure out what works the best, some of the methods I have used are as follows;

-Fill glasses with boiling water and let sit, then rinse.
-Fill glasses a quater of the way with boiling water and let steam, then rinse.
-Use steam from expresso machine, then rinse.
-Put in dishwasher with no cleaning agents and wash at high-temprature.
-Take glasses to a mates pub and use their steamer.

What methods do you use and what seems to work the best?

We have a two drawer dish washer (Fisher and Paykel).
The bottom drawer is the beer glasses draw and only gets used for them.
I rinse the glass after drinking and put it in the bottom draw. When the drawer is full, I add some PSR (Pink Stain) brewing cleaner and steriliser to the detergent cavity and away she goes.
Always get great clean glasses (and dishwasher).

Beers,
Doc

muga said:
G'day,

Just wondering what method people use to clean their beer glasses?

I have used a wide range of methods and still trying to figure out what works the best, some of the methods I have used are as follows;

-Fill glasses with boiling water and let sit, then rinse.
-Fill glasses a quater of the way with boiling water and let steam, then rinse.
-Use steam from expresso machine, then rinse.
-Put in dishwasher with no cleaning agents and wash at high-temprature.
-Take glasses to a mates pub and use their steamer.

What methods do you use and what seems to work the best?
[post="71771"][/post]​

muga,
read this thread I posted sometime back , try this it really does work well

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/Clea...sses-t3101.html

Batz

I just wash them with dishwashing detergent, rinse them well and they come out fine.

johnno

Thanks for the information, I'll go out and get some pink stain tomorrow.

I just got a box of 32 headmaster schooners and I'm going to make sure that they get looked after properly, the last ones just made the beer very dull.. these headmaster glasses seem to have a good reputation and now I can see why!

I have only one beer glass, and i just run it under hot water every couple of days. No detergent, it doesn't usually sit around long enough to harbour bacteria ;)

I too struggled for ages to get my glasses "beer clean" Then I discovered Organic Choice dishwashing liquid. Plant based, no caustic or petro chemicals.
Softens your hands while you clean the glasses. (
i'm showing my age there.) $3.50 from Woolies.

I too struggled for ages to get my glasses "beer clean" Then I discovered Organic Choice dishwashing liquid. Plant based, no caustic or petro chemicals.
Softens your hands while you clean the glasses. (
i'm showing my age there.) $3.50 from Woolies.

Haha, that reads like a straight up advertisment. But I might give it a try, I have a bunch of crusty beer glasses piling up.

but if you look at coles earth choice citrus fresh dishwasher powder, or the woolies equivalent, it is similar to PBW, also it may be more effective at lower temps than PBW as the chelating agent used in that dishwasher powder reacts to form peroxyacetic acid.
Downside is it contains lemon fragrance (limonene?), and for an "eco friendly" formulation it contains ingredients derived from palm oil.

Edit: whoa, this thread is ancient!

Last edited:
Haha, that reads like a straight up advertisment. But I might give it a try, I have a bunch of crusty beer glasses piling up.

but if you look at coles earth choice citrus fresh dishwasher powder, or the woolies equivalent, it is similar to PBW, also it may be more effective at lower temps than PBW as the chelating agent used in that dishwasher powder reacts to form peroxyacetic acid.
Downside is it contains lemon fragrance (limonene?), and for an "eco friendly" formulation it contains ingredients derived from palm oil.

Edit: whoa, this thread is ancient!
Yes but we've resurrected it.

I use lemongrass / green tea flavour. I wash by hand with hardly any water and just a couple of drop of the magic. Rinses off completely with no odor remaining.
My house is on a water softener but I don't think that's a factor.

I think just use sodium percarbonate / perborate cleans the glass just fine, first beer clears it, the next beer is fine, and so on and so forth, or fifth.:)

Same as WEL.
Give a good rinse after use. I then put them aside till I have 5 ore 6 then wash in hot perc. 2 rinses in clean hot water, good to go.
I find supermarket products contain wetting agents to stop water marks on clean glass. This destroys surface tension and the head retention.

glass washer.jpg

I use one of these and some cold PBW. Although you need to use a good cold/hot water rinse afterwards. Makes the headmaster glasses look brand new.

I just wash them with dishwashing detergent, rinse them well and they come out fine.

johnno
I've never really understood some the angst around washing beer glasses. I figure that my washing up detergent cleans pots and pans and plates fit to eat off so it should clean my beer glasses pretty well too.

Like "johnno" from 15 years ago it's all I ever use. A good rinse in piping hot clean water and never had an issue. And because it's all at the kitchen sink anyway there's even times my glasses get washed for me - that's a bonus!

I just rinse with water and put them back in the fridge. Never had an issue.

I just rinse with water and put them back in the fridge. Never had an issue.
+1
"With specially pitted and scored bottoms these glasses keep the bubble cascade going for longer. Headmaster glasses are designed to give a constant cascade of bubbles which keeps the head on your beer longer"
So you end up with flat beer sooner rather than later? Not a problem if it's a guzzler with plenty of carbonation, but what about a low carbed sipper, or the end of a sesh when consumption is slowing? I've never been a fan of them, but maybe I drink too slowly.

Try plain washing soda, buy in bulk and it costs about $4-5 per kg. this stuff works well in all temperature ranges and when rinsed properly the glasses will dry naturally to a crystal clear finish. I clean all my stuff with this and it works.

Back