Cleaning Fresh Wort Containers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moray

Reaction score
I put down a esb fresh wort stout last night.

Does any one have any ideas on how to clean the 15liter container, I cant get a brush in, to clean the sides.

I think it would make a pretty useful container once cleaned.

Moray said:
I put down a esb fresh wort stout last night.

Does any one have any ideas on how to clean the 15liter container, I cant get a brush in, to clean the sides.

I think it would make a pretty useful container once cleaned.
Soak it overnight in a bleach solution.

They're damn handy for using as a secondary on smaller batches.

if you had gunk that wouldn't come off without something rubbing it, you could try putting some sort of abrasives in there.. something small enough to bash off the crud, and big enough not to scratch the container...

perhaps some marbles..

try rice grains with a mixture of brewers detergent.

Wow, my stout container cleaned out nicely with a shake and some water.
Moray, you've got something to look forward to at least, I bottled mine last night and it's pretty great already. 6 days in primary, 13 in secondary and bottled last night with 70g of dry malt extract. Very rich flavour. I also used 1084 Irish Ale yeast.... and put an ESB Irish Red fresh wort on the cake.

Would a hose at high pressure help clean the container?

Kbekus,

let me know how the irish red goes, I'm very interested in trying this brew. I've asked at the grain and grape, but they didn't have it in stock yet.

No worries, I'll pass on a bottle when it's done... also if you give John at G&G a call he'll get one in for you - it's not one he keeps in stock and ESB will stop making it in the next few weeks. Also I stuffed up with mine and added too much water.... I think they're only meant to be topped up to 20L and I topped mine up to 22L <_<

Do the ESB Full Wort containers have one of those little plugs screwed into a threaded hole?

If there is that is good because I'm wondering if it would be easy to add a tap to one.

Beers,
Doc

Doc,

they do indeed have a standard tap blank screwed into the side, i removed it to fit a tap, and found the container needed a hole to be drilled at the end of the thread.

hope that makes sense, didn't quite come out right.

cheers
Moray

Back