Cleaning Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgw86

Reaction score
Hi,

I have always been very particular about cleaning and sanitising my fermenter after I keg a brew and before I put the next one down. I do gave a dilemma at the moment and due to the xmas break my Brew shop isn't open.

I always clean the fermenter of all crud with Morgans Lo-Suds before I sanitise with Iodophore.

My problem is I have run out of the Lo-Suds. I do however have some Morning Fresh Original Fresh dishwashing liquid (http://www.morningfresh.com.au/DishwashingLiquids.aspx) that we use to wash the dishes with....is this ok to use? or will it leave behind the smell or other chemicals and ultimately ruin my next batch?

Also if this is fine to use how much should I use?

Basically the steps I take when using the Lo-Suds is to put in 30ml per 1 litre and then just swirl that around in the fermenter and then rinse out thoroughly.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Sam.

Use napisan, the cheap no frills one will do, one cap full and fill the fermenter up with hot tap water

Same process as above post,i run the tap also and clean the inside with a sponge to remove any remains..then sanitize.

+1 for Napisan.

The morning fresh will probably leave a taste behind similar to what it leaves on freshly washed glassware. For the fermenter I actually use unscented Napisan (or sodium percarbonate which is the active ingredient in napisan) and making sure it is completely unscented so that I don't get unwanted flavours in my brew, I can get unwanted flavours millions of other ways but I don't want it coming from washing up detergent....

Cheers,
Shred.

Yeh I've used that stuff it works fine

Cold tap water, a cap of napisan and 2-3 days - no scrubbing needed. Just rinse and squirt with sanitiser before using again.

Hot water is better IMO, it activates the percarbonate as well. I usually boil up a few litres, throw it in the FV with a heaped tablespoon give or take, then shake the shit out of it for a while.

Rinse and scrub clean then vinegar/bleach straight after was what i was doing for the past few years without issues.. just picked up some sodium percabinate from kegking the other day for doing demijohns (pain to clean) and will prolly start using it on the fermenters too
Will most likely end up with an infection now :p

Doesn't matter if it's scented or not, I've been using the lemon scented coles stuff for ages and haven't had any issues. I also find that hot water works a lot quicker than 2 days, usually 30 mins is good enough. I run some through the tap and when I empty the cleaning solution I take the tap out, dismantle it and give that a soak in a bowl of napisan as well.

I used the ordinary dishwashing liquid for years,Scrub out and rinse,no problems.

Thanks for all the feedback! Much appreciated.

What I have found is it varies massively between people and how they clean. Obviously in order to sanitise everything needs to be free of crud left from the previous brew. My method is normally as follows (if anyone wants to correct me that would be appreciated also)

• Wash the fermenter out (including lid) with warm water as well as using a very soft cloth to remove all excess crud that has been left over from the previous brew. Let the warm water run out through the tap as well. Rinse out with warm water.
  • Add 2 litres of warm water with 60ml (6 cap fulls) of Morgans Lo-Sud (30ml per litre as per the bottle) and swirl this around in the fermenter to ensure it is nice and clean. Run through the tap at the bottom to clean it out. Rinse out with warm water to remove any excess left over.
  • Remove the tap and disassemble it (remove sediment reducer etc.). Rinse it with warm water. Also be sure to clean the tap thread on the fermenter.
I then obviously go ahead and sanitise everything from this point on....

Really comes down to what your willing to do, how much time you have, and if your chasing that allusive flavor
If your happy with what you make (for the time being :) ) Then as long as the fermenter is clean after use and then sanitised and then cleaned and sanitised(although in my opinion not always warranted unless not completely dried out) before use if stored for prolonged periods then you will continue to make beer :p

Hi,

I have always been very particular about cleaning and sanitising my fermenter after I keg a brew and before I put the next one down. I do gave a dilemma at the moment and due to the xmas break my Brew shop isn't open.

I always clean the fermenter of all crud with Morgans Lo-Suds before I sanitise with Iodophore.

My problem is I have run out of the Lo-Suds. I do however have some Morning Fresh Original Fresh dishwashing liquid (http://www.morningfresh.com.au/DishwashingLiquids.aspx) that we use to wash the dishes with....is this ok to use? or will it leave behind the smell or other chemicals and ultimately ruin my next batch?

Also if this is fine to use how much should I use?

Basically the steps I take when using the Lo-Suds is to put in 30ml per 1 litre and then just swirl that around in the fermenter and then rinse out thoroughly.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Sam.

I learned off a champion brewer today.....don't bother with cleaners! The trick is to clean with the hose and dry the fermentor out in the sun all day or use it straight away. Secret of a legend and ill be following this method from now on.
:icon_cheers:

I learned off a champion brewer today.....don't bother with cleaners! The trick is to clean with the hose and dry the fermentor out in the sun all day or use it straight away. Secret of a legend and ill be following this method from now on.

Let us know how you go with that

After such a convincing argument, as soon as i get home im throwing away my starsan, the sodium perc. Bulk buy is off amd on going to rely on my hose...

Seriously... If you are happy with that, fine, cudos to ya... And the legend who has given instruction..

Your beer, your call, I suspect some of the lengths i go to are excessive... But i am happy doing so, neither method is right or wrong, it only becomes wrong if you start to lose beer which may be more likely with less of a sanitation routine..

Yob

+10 never had to whip or scrub my fermenters and never had a infection. just leave few days tip into another fermenter (to reuse) it will keep for weeks. just rinse well and store and sanitise to reuse. If I forget to clean a fermenter I usually clean it like this then let it sit for a day with a tiny bit stronger mix of bleach and vinegar.

Cold tap water, a cap of napisan and 2-3 days - no scrubbing needed. Just rinse and squirt with sanitiser before using again.

I like the napisan method because it requires that I do no work.

Yep!!... that's exactly what I love about napisan.... NO WORK. I can be a lazy ******* but why do more than you really need? :icon_drunk:

Back