Cleaning - Earth's Choice Laundry Soaker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losp

Reaction score
Has anyone used 'Earth's Choice Laundry Soaker' for cleaning the fermenters?

I know many here use napisan, but this stuff was cheaper than napisan.

It has:
sodium carbonate, sodium suphate, sodium percabonate, sodium methyl ester sulphonate, Tetraacetylethylenediamine and enzyme(proteasa, amylase, mannanase)
Active ingredient is Sodium percarbonate (27.5%)

Is this product OK to use?

As long as it cleans the bottles and you rinse them well it should be okay.. Just stay away from fragranted stuff it can leave a taste... So somebody told me blah!

Good way of spending about $12 a kilo for perc. You can buy a 20k bag for around $80 but that would keep you going for years, so best to get together with some locals for a bulk buy. Being in a regional area I'll be in that position myself when the current lot runs out. :unsure: Surprised that more HB dealers don't bag it up and sell it for say six bucks a kilo, still half the price of Napisan style products.

I hadn't realised sodium perc was so cheap.

Is there any benefit in having other ingredients as well, wouldnt they "clean" too?
I dont really know how it works but dont some of them activate the active ingredient?

I went through the supermarket and sniffed every bloody product, i cant tell the diff between the ones that smell and the ones that dont....

losp said:
I dont really know how it works but dont some of them activate the active ingredient?
Not needed, hot/boiling water will activate the perc and then it's game on.. fantastic stuff.. Pretty damn cheap here in Melbourne by the bag full (which is about 2 lifetimes supply)

Anywhere else and I'd get some from Nev, great price

Yob said:
Not needed, hot/boiling water will activate the perc and then it's game on.. fantastic stuff.. Pretty damn cheap here in Melbourne by the bag full (which is about 2 lifetimes supply)

Anywhere else and I'd get some from Nev, great price
Yob, I am in melbourne.
Sorry I keep meaning to update it in my profile. I think i've sent you Rhizomes before

Hi all

For anyone interested

100% Sodium Percarbonate - 25kg bag - $41.50

AllPro Chemical & Hospitality Supplies - Sandgate NSW

No affiliation at all

Cheers

Wow thanks for that - amazing, I'll pop in next time I'm doon the Sandgate (Bribie G bursts into Geordie song re The Sandgate in his own native Newcastle, not forgetting the song about the Lambton Worm as well - :p )

I wonder if they freight up to Taree, more than likely if the pubs and hotels use this company. B)

Good price, makes me think of changing from my $2.49 per kg Aldi Di-San.

To answer your original question losp - yes that would be fine to use.

As mentioned though, there are better alternatives. Pure percarb is amazing with boiling water. The surfactants etc in the commercial cleaners leave a residue that requires a lot of water to rinse properly. The pure stuff does not. In the meantime though anything unscented with sodium percarb as the main ingredient should be fine but there are cheaper laternatives than $12.50 kg. Aldi, homebrand etc.

Percarb plus (sodium) metasilicate is meant to be the bomb but I'm unsure of its biodegradability and I've been happy with straight percarb.

Pure perc leaves a pure solution of washing soda behind. For cleaning fermenters nowadays I just hose them out with a high pressure jet then fill them with cold water to the brim, chuck in a quarter cup of perc, don't even bother mixing, and leave just outside the garage door overnight. In the morning the FV is invariably spotless inside, quck wash out with hot laundry water and then some Starsan, and ready for the next brew.

I just tip out the FV and the washing soda solution goes down the communal storm drain in the driveway, probably helps clean out the drains and nothing nasty to end up in the Manning River.

The Aldi stuff is good for laundry as it probably has some detergent activity as well, but you end up paying probably six or seven bucks a kilo for the perc that's in there, assuming around 40% in the top shelf variety.

edit: I wear good old white volleys, cut the tongue out and use them as slip ons in the same manner you would wear thongs, fantastic shoe - every week or when they get stinky I pull the insole out and whack both pairs plus insoles into a hot bucket of perc, put a brick on the top to stop them rising. Next morning you need sunglasses to look at them

The missus noticed last year that the 9-year-old Nappysan (27-28% sodium perc TTBOMM) donated by my eldest & purchased when my grandkids were in nappies had lost a lot of it's zip over the years so yes, I would say that sodium perc does degrade in time but should be fine for a year or so at 100% & still ok at a lesser percentage for a long time after that.

The modern pure perc granules are "coated" with something to avoid the oxygen component leaking off and moisture or humidity creeping in.

Edit: Pete your whites looked shiny white to me :)

Bribie G said:
The modern pure perc granules are "coated" with something to avoid the oxygen component leaking off and moisture or humidity creeping in.

Edit: Pete your whites looked shiny white to me :)
I bow to your superior knowledge Bribie. :icon_cheers:

PS -- That old Nappysan was long gone before I turned up on your doorstep. :D

Bribie G said:
Wow thanks for that - amazing, I'll pop in next time I'm doon the Sandgate (Bribie G bursts into Geordie song re The Sandgate in his own native Newcastle, not forgetting the song about the Lambton Worm as well - :p )

I wonder if they freight up to Taree, more than likely if the pubs and hotels use this company. B)
Don’t forget the one about the fishy on the dishy, i have fond memories of my grandmother singing that strolling along the beach in Whitley bay.

Back