Cleaning Corny Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drederick Tatum

Reaction score
Does anyone know the best way to clean the outside of the kegs mine have all marks on them from stickers that have been stuck on them over the years. Being the son of a painter i was going to use nitrocelluose thinners but am unsure whether it will damage the rubber top and bottom. Anyone have any ideas?

A rub with eucalyptus oil should do the trick. Its also very localised, so you dont get any on anyjting other than the targeted area.

M

yes good idea with the eucaliptus also to mack em shinny again hand polish with autosol metal polish (from any good autoshop)
one of mine is almost like chrome now and the polish also helps protect the stainless steel .
painters thiner will knacker the rubber bits they will become tary .
delboy

I just leave mine as they are. The beer goes on the inside so I don't care what they look like on the outside.

delboy said:
yes good idea with the eucaliptus also to mack em shinny again hand polish with autosol metal polish (from any good autoshop)
one of mine is almost like chrome now and the polish also helps protect the stainless steel .
painters thiner will knacker the rubber bits they will become tary .
delboy
[post="85923"][/post]​

Hey, good idea re the Autosol, Delboy!
I read a website in the US that suggested using fine grade sandpaper and letting the steel passivate for a few days afterwards, so I got to work with some 240 grade on the first of eight kegs and was knackered by the end of the arvo.

Stuff that, they can stay dirty! But I might have a go with some autosol that I used to clean the roadbike exhausts with... :super: I sold the bike years ago. :(

Cheers,
TL

if your kegs are really shitty looking get some pickle paste from the welding supplies they use this stuff for dressing surgical stainless before buffing but ware gloves and a mask and fill your keg with water and seal first thist will stop any of this getting inside i wont damage the inside but you will have to clean it out so prevention here.

after picel paste is washed of with water your kegs will be beautifully silver and then buff em up with autosol .
they will look brand new .
delboy

Back