Cleaning Copper Manifold Before First Use

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowie in space

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to use my copper manifold for the first time tomorrow. After de-burring with a file, I pulled apart every fitting and soaked in a weak vinegar/water solution. I put 1 cup of homebrand vinegar in my 10L stockpot, then filled to the top with water and soaked for about 10 mins.

Is that solution too weak and have I soaked it long enough? It didn't really change colour or brighten up like I've read about. The pipe and joins are quite patchy in their appearance with darker spots throughout.

With my brass fittings I soaked for 10 minutes in 100ml hydrogen peroxide and 200ml vinegar. The solution changed to a darker colour and seemed to strip and clean the fittings quite well.

Now, should I soak the lot in some PBW overnight for extra cleanliness? I have researched the topic but can't seem to pinpoint the answers.

Bowie

Don't worry.

Your copper is fresh. When it oxidises after some time, you will notice a dullness or worse, green oxidation product. Soak in water and vinegar then to see the difference (or brew with it - acidic wort will clean it up - it's just that you will get the oxidation products in the wort).

Anyway a quick soak in water and vinegar, light scrub if you feel like it and brew away. If you get paranoid after that then consider switching to SS braid or false bottom.

Spray with starsan. Instant copper cleaning.

Latest posts

Back