Cleaning Cooper Pipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am just making the transition from kits to AG brewing, and I am trying to get together the necessary equipment to do it properly.

I'm converting a 44L esky into a mash tun, and I've just made a manifold out of copper to act as filter (its basically a square of copper piping around the bottom with heaps of hacksaw blade cuts to allow the wort to pass but not the grain).

While I was making all the cuts, I noticed my hands getting pretty dirty from holding the copper pipe, and I was wondering what would be best way to clean the manifold before I try to use it. I don't really want a metallic taste from the first batch out of my you-beaut new mash tun <_<

cheers

I've used plain white vinegar to clean up copper purchased from a scrap metal place. Soaked it over night and gave it a good scrub.

Charlie said:
While I was making all the cuts, I noticed my hands getting pretty dirty from holding the copper pipe, and I was wondering what would be best way to clean the manifold before I try to use it. I don't really want a metallic taste from the first batch out of my you-beaut new mash tun <_<

Just do a little mash enough to cover the tubes in the manifold and toss it before you do your real first batch. I can guarantee your copper will be nice and shiny after the first mash has converted in it. :D :D

nonicman said:
I've used plain white vinegar to clean up copper purchased from a scrap metal place. Soaked it over night and gave it a good scrub.
[post="89927"][/post]​

Full marks nonicman....go to the top of the class :lol: :lol:

Seriously white vinegar is the go , 2 lt of cheap home brand and you clean azz !

Batz

Batz said:
nonicman said:
[post="89927"][/post]​

Seriously white vinegar is the go , 2 lt of cheap home brand and you clean azz !

Batz
[post="89935"][/post]​

I was googling "how to clean stainless steel" and it said vinegar too... Is there anything vinegar cannot do?

We use it in our washing as fabric softner and also as rinse aid in the dish washer...

Plus it's great on fish and chips :party:

sluggerdog said:
[post="89936"][/post]​

Also a necessity on the vinegar stroke too. :blink: :ph34r:

Warren -

Is that a recent photo of you on your new avatar Slugger? We've never met yet but I'll know what to look for at Ross's. :p Seriously, nice avatar.

:beer:

sluggerdog said:
Batz said:
nonicman said:
[post="89927"][/post]​

Batz
[post="89935"][/post]​

I was googling "how to clean stainless steel" and it said vinegar too... Is there anything vinegar cannot do?

We use it in our washing as fabric softner and also as rinse aid in the dish washer...

[post="89936"][/post]​
1/2-1 cup of white vinegar in a bucket of water will clean your windows and wont leave any streaks

warrenlw63 said:
sluggerdog said:
[post="89936"][/post]​

Also a necessity on the vinegar stroke too. :blink: :ph34r:

Warren -
[post="89937"][/post]​

Nah mate, that's a sneak-peak at a section of my xmas case beer labels.

Pitty the beers not as good as the labels though which came out looking slick... :(

Add salt to vinegar and then wipe onto copper to get an instant clean .

use a scotch brite dipped in salt / vinegar mix on stubborn spots

Thanks everyone for all for that ... If my first brew ends up a little vinegary, I'll just have to eat chips with them :p

Latest posts

Back