Cleaning Beer Lines - What's A Good Product?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 384

Reaction score
OK, the AHB collective has come up with good alternatives to brand name products for such things as sanitisers etc, but what's a good off the kithchen shelf for cleaning beer lines. Just need to keep in mind that most peoples taps are chrome plated brass and any possible rections.

How about Sosman, do you have any ideas.

Cheers
MAH

I jsut run a hot phos acid solution through them after every keg. Keeps em crystal clean.

i use beer line cleaner

MAH said:
...... but what's a good off the kithchen shelf for cleaning beer lines. Just need to keep in mind that most peoples taps are chrome plated brass and any possible rections.
[post="65678"][/post]​

jgriffin said:
I jsut run a hot phos acid solution through them after every keg. Keeps em crystal clean.
[post="65703"][/post]​

GMK said:
i use beer line cleaner
[post="65717"][/post]​

Geez I like your guys off the kitchen shelf products :p

Doc

GMK said:
i use beer line cleaner
[post="65717"][/post]​

I also use napisan to clean the lines.

GMK - I think MAH was asking for alternatives to beer line cleaner

Yep - napisan for me.
Followed by a litre or two of boiling water.

Cheers

Quincy,

I do the same but watch how much boiling water you use. I've had lines go soft and blow off the barbs this way. Can make a bit of a mess. :blink:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Quincy,

I do the same but watch how much boiling water you use. I've had lines go soft and blow off the barbs this way. Can make a bit of a mess. :blink:

Warren -
[post="65729"][/post]​
Why boiling?

warrenlw63 said:
Quincy,

Warren -
[post="65729"][/post]​

Blow off? How tight do you do your clamps?

Sean said:
warrenlw63 said:
Quincy,

Warren -
[post="65729"][/post]​
Why boiling?
[post="65756"][/post]​

Probably should have said "boiled" water. :)
Although it's still pretty hot when I use it.

Cheers

jgriffin said:
Blow off? How tight do you do your clamps?
[post="65763"][/post]​

Don't use clamps JC. That would explain a few things eh. :blink:

If I get the odd problem line I just stick an electrical cable tie on it and pull tight with the pliers. Does the job well enough.

Warren -

I also use beer line cleaner but i think the stuff i get it just expensive napisan! I think in future i will just use napisan.

I don't use clamps either and have never had a problem with the lines. Does anyone else use clamps or had a problem without them? I may have to get some if thats the case.

As keg-line cleaner is generally strong caustic soda you can just use caustic soda as an off the shelf keg-line cleaner, however I think that for off the shelf stuff you can't go past automatic dish washing detergent.
It is basically cautic soda but with surfactants to help get into all the nooks and crannys.

Hoops

As keg-line cleaner is generally strong caustic soda you can just use caustic soda as an off the shelf keg-line cleaner, however I think that for off the shelf stuff you can't go past automatic dish washing detergent.
It is basically cautic soda but with surfactants to help get into all the nooks and crannys.

Hoops

in respect to using Napisan, what sort of strength do you guys use for flushing lines?

ie: 1 capful into 8 L?

ta

I use the 1 teaspoon to a litre

old habit I suppose

1 tsp per L sounds like more than a cap per 8 L.....but if it works...it's all good

but then I only put 2-3 litres in the keg, push thru the line, then let sit in line for a minute or two then flush out

Latest posts

Back