Cleaning After Brewing Any Tips ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heat sterilisation requires a temp of around 135 degrees to be held for three minutes. I don't believe that microwaving a sponge would achieve a state of microbiological sterility in that timeframe.

Keep the filthy kitchen sponge/cloth in the kitchen, and away from your brew gear.

Why would you need a sterile sponge anyway? Are you using the sponge to help sanitise/sterilise the fermenter? If its just for cleaning then whats the point?

Why would you need a sterile sponge anyway? Are you using the sponge to help sanitise/sterilise the fermenter? If its just for cleaning then whats the point?

I don't think he's talking about trying to create a sterile sponge for his brew cleanup, but instead sharing some random trivia.

Your local brew shop should sell em. Might also find them with the HB gear somewhere like BigW.

GIve you bottles a soak in napisan, that should help too.

Yup. And if the napisan doesn't shift it then cut the handle off the bottle brush and whack that end in your cordless drill to give your bottles a good thrashing. Works a treat.

edit- hehe, typo

PET is supposed to be a little slippery/hydrophobic, I wouldn't go too hard with the brush or you could scratch the shit out of them.

BTW the slippery feeling from nappisan is just the saponification of the oils on your skin.

PET is supposed to be a little slippery/hydrophobic, I wouldn't go too hard with the brush or you could scratch the shit out of them.

BTW the slippery feeling from nappisan is just the saponification of the oils on your skin.

Sorry, missed the PET part. Definitely go easy if it's a hard brush.

@ crusty: I think the Friday night chat got me there, mate :)

Good points also Iodophor solution makes bottles feel slippery both glass and PET.

F*ckn hilarious...I'm going now to change my undies. :lol:

Back