Cleaning After Brewing Any Tips ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YOU WILL GET MY HELP WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT!

Use that thing in the middle of your face. Put it right in the tub/ Does it smell kinda nice?

Yeah, let it go. Go to another thread. I do not want or need your condescending bullshit here.

I wouldn't worry too much if someone has a dig at you here, its par for the course. I've copped some cracking sprays from people for not searching or asking a 'stupid' question.

Napisan and a soft cloth for cleaning, no rinse sanitiser (starsan, defender etc) for sanitisation. Stick to the instructions on the bottle of whatever you use as they're all slightly different.

It's a simple process, but a very important one. Don't be tempted to cut corners. Do it right and you'll have years of infection free brewing.

JD

I wouldn't worry too much if someone has a dig at you here, its par for the course. I've copped some cracking sprays from people for not searching or asking a 'stupid' question.

Napisan and a soft cloth for cleaning, no rinse sanitiser (starsan, defender etc) for sanitisation. Stick to the instructions on the bottle of whatever you use as they're all slightly different.

It's a simple process, but a very important one. Don't be tempted to cut corners. Do it right and you'll have years of infection free brewing.

JD

See what I highlighted in your quote. This is exactly the reason for my 300 questions on something everyone around here thinks is of no importance as to just throw shit in and then rinse it out.

I am new to brewing. I want to brew correctly, I do not want to brew shit beer. Not having someone I know who brews leaves me at a very distinct disadvantage. And all the information I have found is exactly like Bum's advice, Piss in it, wipe it out, spit in it and your ready. I want to know how to do it properly and more importantly WHY.

Thanks for your reply JD!!

Just looked in the laundry cupboard and found some "Vanish Napisan Plus" every day soaker.

Is this the stuff ? Or do I need the original formula or something ?

I've used fragrance free and the smelly stuff (just depends on what Mrs JD has stocked the cupboard with), always ended up with the same result, clean brew gear. Rinse till you can't smell cleaning product and you'll be sweet as bro.

Hope this helps - link

Not having someone I know who brews leaves me at a very distinct disadvantage.

Edit: Let us know where you are, there might be somebody local wiling to either have you come round a see a brewing demo, or give you advice in person. Worst case scenario, you'll get to drink some good beer...

Sodium perc 1 teaspoon,fill fermenter to top with warm/hot water..leave sit for awhile,the drain.as it's empties i use a soft sponge to remove any gunk that's still siting on the sides.once empty i rinse,then if i am going to fill again i use starsan

Thanks for all the replies. I think I have enough info up my sleeves now to tide me over for the moment.

If youre in sydney, you are welcome to join me on saturday morning brewday and ill give you the complete rundown, to simplify the whole brewing process. Pm me if interested. Kicking off at 1030, bring a 6 pack.and maybe a notepad.

The hardest thing to remove is the krausen ring on the inside of the fermenter an overnight soak usually gets the job done and a good wipe.

Forget all the fancy stuff.

You are brewing kits, right?

So, what do you have to clean?

1. Maybe a pot of some sort? Use the dishwasher.

2. A spoon to stir your wort? Use the dishwasher.

3. A fermenter? Use a kitchen sponge. The yeast trub cake is great for cleaning off the kraeusen ring from the fermenter, it has just enough abrasive quality without damaging your fermenter surface. Then just rinse (I do it with my garden hose). If needs be, use a plastic dishwashing brush. The brush is good for getting into the rim etc. Don't use anything which might scratch the inside surface.

4. The fermenter tap? Unscrew, and use a piece of dowel to take it apart. It should clean with just rinsing. Reassemble. There are posts on here to show you how to do it.

5. Anything else? Just rinse after use, or clean as in 3 if needed. Let dry.

1,2 3, 4, and 5. Simply sanitise before use.

There's no need to complicate any of this stuff. All you are looking to do is to clean your gear to a state where there is no visible dirt or deposits, the same as your ordinary dishes, cutlery etc. Once you have done that, it's ready for sanitiser before use.

By the way, the advice from Bum is sound. Don't let your perception of his attitude get in the way of following good advice.

If youre in sydney, you are welcome to join me on saturday morning brewday and ill give you the complete rundown, to simplify the whole brewing process. Pm me if interested. Kicking off at 1030, bring a 6 pack.and maybe a notepad.

Thanks mate, Used to live in Sydney, now I live in paradise. Hervey Bay, QLD. So unfortunately I cannot take you up on that offer :)

Thanks mate, Used to live in Sydney, now I live in paradise. Hervey Bay, QLD. So unfortunately I cannot take you up on that offer :)

I'll extend the above invitation to Bundy. Come up and I'll put on a brew day, and a bed for the night.

QldKev

Use that thing in the middle of your face. Put it right in the tub/ Does it smell kinda nice?

+1

Thanks Bum, now everyone on the tram think that I'm an idiot after I burst out laughing while reading this. Great comment!

Back