Cleaning After Brewing Any Tips ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoop

Reaction score
OK with some help from you guys I have created my first brew - Coopers Pale Ale

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=66744

As with everything homebrew I have found nothing that fully explains to me what and how to clean after my brew. I am sure there is something out there and I am sure it is easy as piss to do but I am the type of guy who likes to get things right the first time and know why I got it right.

Firstly I believe if I had some Starsan I would have not a problem in the world, I would just clean out my brewer with some of the cleaning agent in a spray bottle I got from the homebrew shop with my starter kit and rinsed it (Which I have done) And then put a few ml of starsan in my brewer and fill it up and chuck everything in until I am about to brew again.

Unfortunately the no rinse sanitizer I got in my kit needs 30ml per litre of water and is a 250ml bottle which is already half empty.

What should I do, how should I do it ?

I have used the search function on this forum which does not turn up much in the way of a step by step guide, but lots of people using chemicals like bleach and other nasty sounding shit that I would not like anywhere near my beer until I know what the chemical is and what it does and what it does to you 10 years from now after being injested for so long.

So yeah, should my first thing on the list be to go to my brew shop and get some starsan ?

My brewshop owner is quite happy to talk to me for an hour about brew methods and such but I feel kind of ripped off after actually asking him how long the cleaning products in the kit would last and he told me it would last me 15 brews easily.

Woah, this post is a little longer than I expected.

Is there a step by step guide to cleaning one of those starter kits basically everyone starts with anywhere on the internet ?

until I know what the chemical is and what it does and what it does to you 10 years from now after being injested for so long.
Have you ever considered that alcohol might not be for you? :unsure:

Just wash the bloody thing. Knock the lumps off without scratching it. Soak it in bleach/sodium percarbonate/nappisan/whatever your LHBS sold you. Rinse it out. Sanitise it. Put more beer in it. Those are the steps. I find it hard to believe you cannot find information about this.

cleaning and sanitising are two completely different things.

You should not be cleaning with no rinse sanitiser, you should be sanitising things with the sanitiser.

Cleaning, Napisan / sodium percarbonate. Get it perfectly clean, and don't be afraid to soak still in it for a while. Don't scratch anything with hard brushes etc. I leave all my no-chill cubes full of it until next use. Cleaning is the number one thing to get perfect.

Next sanitising. Use the stuff you have for now, but only make up 1L not heaps. Order some Starsan, this stuff makes sanatising easy. A bottle will last years.

QldKev

Oh look, 3 posts all saying 3 different things. That does not confuse me one bit. :)

OK,
ignore post 1, 8000 + member treating me like im a ******* idiot. (Trust me, these questions sound stupid to me too. But not having a person here to show me the steps of doing my first full brew cycle I am just worried that I am going to **** something up. If my questions in the what I consider to be the newbie section are just too retarded for your awesomeness to answer, Don't ******* answer them.)

Thanks post 2, I do know what the difference between cleaning and sanitizing is.

Thanks Qldkev, Just the answer I needed.

Can you tell me any ratios of nappysan to water ?
Does it leave any residue ?
Do I need to be careful using it in any way for a food product (beer) ?
Do I just soak all my disassembled parts in there and maybe just wash them with a cloth then leave them to soak ?
Anything else useful I should know ?

I use a Brigalow cleaning agent (probably just repackaged Napisan) and I use 25g to 5L and it does the job fine.

I just rinse afterwards and no problem :)

I use a Brigalow cleaning agent (probably just repackaged Napisan) and I use 25g to 5L and it does the job fine.

I just rinse afterwards and no problem :)

Thanks Tricache, much appreciated.

I rinse the yeast trub out of the fermenter (20L jerrycan) and then fill the bugger up with warm water.

In goes 1 cap of napisan, on goes the lid, lay it down sideways. Next day, flip it over.

Few days later I take it out the back and open the tap. When empty it gets rinsed 3 times with cold water, dried and the lid popped back on loose.

Starsan when about to be refilled.

No "cleaning" needed. Let the chemicals do your cleaning.

Read the frigging label, ffs.

Not if you rinse it off as instructed.

Not if you rinse it off as instructed.

Use it. Rinse it off as instructed. Stop acting like a "******* idiot".

Yeah, let it go. Go to another thread. I do not want or need your condescending bullshit here.

I rinse the yeast trub out of the fermenter (20L jerrycan) and then fill the bugger up with warm water.

In goes 1 cap of napisan, on goes the lid, lay it down sideways. Next day, flip it over.

Few days later I take it out the back and open the tap. When empty it gets rinsed 3 times with cold water, dried and the lid popped back on loose.

Starsan when about to be refilled.

No "cleaning" needed. Let the chemicals do your cleaning.

Awesome, thank you for the steps, measurements and method. Just what I needed. Thank you. :)

Read it again, mate.

The steps are:
- get the solids out
- soak it in your chosen cleaning agent
- rinse it
- sanitise it
- dirty it again

You're looking for some complicated answer that is entirely unnecessary and taking it personally when it isn't offered.

Oh look, 3 posts all saying 3 different things. That does not confuse me one bit.

OK,
ignore post 1, 8000 + member treating me like im a ******* idiot. (Trust me, these questions sound stupid to me too. But not having a person here to show me the steps of doing my first full brew cycle I am just worried that I am going to **** something up. If my questions in the what I consider to be the newbie section are just to retarded for your awesomeness to answer, Don't ******* answer them.)

Thanks post 2, I do know what the difference between cleaning and sanitizing is.

Thanks Qldkev, Just the answer I needed.

I use 1 cupful napisan to 1 fermenter full of water. Throw anyairlocks or other items you want clean in there too. Ensure the napisan is fragrance free. I use the Aldi stuff as it is half the cost and works perfect (not sure how well it does in the laundry)

It does feel slightly slimly after a soak. I just give it a good hose out and a quick wipe with a soft sponge (the Aldi non scratch ones) (no not a plug for Aldi)
The cubes I can't get inside, so they are just hosed out prior to sanatising.

Just make sure you rinse the napisan properly prior to sanatising.

Just that Napisan is basically sodium percarbonate with a couple of other bits thrown in. Ensure 100% that is is fragrance free before use.
Remember that you cannot sanatise dirty equipment.

QldKev

Just looked in the laundry cupboard and found some "Vanish Napisan Plus" every day soaker.

Is this the stuff ? Or do I need the original formula or something ?

Not fragrance free.

Some will say it matters. Other will not.

Don't see anywhere on it that states it has a fragrance.

Back