Cleaning After Brewing Any Tips ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't heard from Silo Ted, Yasmani and Mike Litorous for a while................How's cocko by the way........

I'll extend the above invitation to Bundy. Come up and I'll put on a brew day, and a bed for the night.

QldKev

Thanks Kev, I will definitely take you up on that offer but it might not be for a few weeks :)

Cleaning isn't rocket science. You clean the gunk off with a sponge (not scrubber), then sanitise it. Read the label, follow instructions.
Even the coopers beginner kit instructions detail cleaning.

Thanks for a good morning laugh, guys. Seeing Bum's frustration is worth it.

Thank you for the link, I have read that already.

That's a pretty comprehensive link that you have supposedly read. I really don't know what you want anyone to add to it.

If in fact you have read that link and still need to ask questions then maybe making beer is not for you.

Go buy some VB. :ph34r: :ph34r:

Use a kitchen sponge.

To clarify for the new brewer, use a kitchen sponge, not your current kitchen sponge. The one you use for everyday washing up will be swarming with bacteria. Buy a packet that will be dedicated only to the brew gear, and change often.

That's a pretty comprehensive link that you have supposedly read. I really don't know what you want anyone to add to it.

If in fact you have read that link and still need to ask questions then maybe making beer is not for you.

Go buy some VB. :ph34r: :ph34r:

Just because someone has questions, and just because someone just does not take one persons answer as gospel does not mean "then maybe making beer is not for you. Go buy some VB. "
It means that this someone is interested in learning more than what you yourself have learnt, and one day will be a better brewer than yourself because, not only knowing what to use, he will know why it's used and also how to use it and even if it is safe to use and even go as far as to find out its chemical makeup and even possibly learn about the history of what he is using to find out how it came about to be being used.
Just because you read one article on one website and declare it as gospel does not mean others who like to research things are going to take your method of being a sheep and following just what you have been told as gospel.

Don't just be a complete dickface and come to a thread that someone is asking questions and decide you are somebody, when in fact you are nothing but a hack trying to be witty. (See I can also make massive assumptions from just one single post you have made and make you look like a complete idiot also.) Next time try and make yourself useful and answer a question that is asked, or just **** off to another thread.

Oh boy, I'm starting to really like these forums already. I love how people think that asking questions qualifies you as being less intelligent as themselves because they know something more about a single subject as themselves. I'm going to love it around here.

Paul.

To clarify for the new brewer, use a kitchen sponge, not your current kitchen sponge. The one you use for everyday washing up will be swarming with bacteria. Buy a packet that will be dedicated only to the brew gear, and change often.

Yes, I have done this already Jay Cee, and also if you did not know this. Soak your sponge in water, put it on a plate, 3 minutes in the microwave and you now have a sterile sponge.

OK, I have been down to the local homebrew store and spoke to the owner and got some very simple instructions and answers to questions on why things work the way they do with cleaning and have finally worked out why I have been so pedantic about this cleaning business. The reason being is in every piece of literature CLEANING AND SANITIZING IS KING. So for someone who has never brewed before getting this right is of utmost importance. For all of you harassing me for asking questions, GO **** YOURSELVES.

For all of you great guys putting up with me and answering my questions as best you could. THANK YOU!!

For all of you harassing me for asking questions, GO **** YOURSELVES.

For all of you great guys putting up with me and answering my questions as best you could. THANK YOU!!

Here we count out 673 beads of napisan. That will be the correct ratio for a thirty litre fermenter,

Place all of these beads gently into the fermenter and then disolve them all with hot tap water. About three litres of this water should be enought to disolve the beads.

Once the beads have disolved, (You may need to shack and swirl the solution for this to happen)completely fill the fermenter and then let it rest for about 24 hours.

This should be long enough for all the wonderful enzymes in the napisan to do their job and disolve all of the muck left in the fermenter that you want to get rid of. a soft Chux cloth or the like of this will be helpful to physically remove any stubborn muck. Place this cloth in one hand, and dunk it into the napisan solution in your fermenter to wipe this muck off.

Empty the fermenter and rinse with warm water about three times.

Your fermenter is now ready for the steralization process before your next brew.

Please note that your thanks is not required for my advice,,as I have already made preparations to GO **** Myself.

3 pages on how to clean your fermenter.
I dont think even Truman could've done that.

Gonna be fun when he wants to know how to reculture yeast...

Yes, I know, GO **** YOURSELF.....sorry I was feeling left out.

You may need to shack and swirl the solution for this to happen

Hold on, hold on, this is getting confusing. You didn't say whether to swirl clockwise, or anti-clockwise to dissolve. I really need a simple answer, and fast, because I'm counting out the 673 beads right now. :rolleyes:

Hold on, hold on, this is getting confusing. You didn't say whether to swirl clockwise, or anti-clockwise to dissolve. I really need a simple answer, and fast, because I'm counting out the 673 beads right now. :rolleyes:

Appologies Jay Cee, Just to correct this oversight, I find the shaking and swirling anti-clockwise will impart extra exitement into the anti-muck ensymes, which will greatly aid in the cleaning process. :p

Damn it, this oversight means i may just have to go **** myself AGAIN!!! :(

OK, I have been down to the local homebrew store and spoke to the owner and got some very simple instructions and answers to questions on why things work the way they do with cleaning and have finally worked out why I have been so pedantic about this cleaning business. The reason being is in every piece of literature CLEANING AND SANITIZING IS KING.

You've got me intrigued now.
What are these "very simple instructions" you got from your homebrew store?
Do they differ at all from what you have been told in this thread? :huh:

Thread hijack on the subject of cleaning so not totally Off Topic. Stupid Question where do you buy a bottle brush? Seen them in youtube videos but never spotted one in the local shops like Coles or Woolies. My PET bottles feel a little oily inside now after multiple brews and I do give them a good rinse and shake straight after use.

Thread hijack on the subject of cleaning so not totally Off Topic. Stupid Question where do you buy a bottle brush? Seen them in youtube videos but never spotted one in the local shops like Coles or Woolies. My PET bottles feel a little oily inside now after multiple brews and I do give them a good rinse and shake straight after use.

Your local brew shop should sell em. Might also find them with the HB gear somewhere like BigW.

GIve you bottles a soak in napisan, that should help too.

Yes, I have done this already Jay Cee, and also if you did not know this. Soak your sponge in water, put it on a plate, 3 minutes in the microwave and you now have a sterile sponge.

I'd be using a fresh sponge. While the microwave sterilisation may work I wouldn't be willing to risk it. A pack of 50 home brand sponges, $2. Peace of mind, priceless.

Back