cleaner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moog

BIAB-ER
Reaction score
I saw these in aldi today I wondered if the are suitable for brewing, is anyone using them?

Attachments

• IMG_0889.JPG
    IMG_0889.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0890.JPG
    IMG_0890.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0891.JPG
    IMG_0891.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0892.JPG
    IMG_0892.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 166
The photos are pretty hard to read, but judging by the name it should be OK. Check the ingredients. If the active ingredient is sodium percarbonate then you're good, but you also want it to be fragrance free.

I think this comes up every time Aldi puts something on special, so one more time for those who cant finger count.
My local HBS sells 5kg of pure Sodium Percarbonate $29.95, or $5.95/kg. Perk comes in various forms and at various prices, Food Machinery Contact grade is purer than what is used to remove skid-marks from undies. Coated is more stable than uncoated. The coating is usually Sodium Silicate (see MSDS) and helps to stop the Perk breaking down when exposed to moisture in the air.
The Aldi Di-San is <30% Perk and a bunch of others stuff mostly Sodium Carbonate.(< means less than)
upload_2019-6-16_8-49-37.png

Apparently the 3kg package was a special and isn't available all the time, looks like they were charging $8.99 or ~$3/kg.
If its 30% Perk that's the equivalent of $3/30*100=$10/kg.

I would be tempted to go to my LHBS, get best quality cleaner/steriliser for 40% less money and know exactly what I'm using.
Mark

I've always used the 'purple' one. Kegs, kettle, bottles and fermenter no problems.

I would be tempted to go to my LHBS, get best quality cleaner/steriliser for 40% less money and know exactly what I'm using.
Mark
Have you tried SOAK from All Pro at Sandgate?
They tell me it's Sodium Perc, Sodium Metasilicate, a proprietary chelating agent (they said it's not EDTA) but no SLS
I was tempted to grab 10kg and just throw in some SLS to make a knockoff PBW, but it's kind of tempting to just get BBW from Brewman

I do the latter. I also know the chemist who formulates the BBW, he also makes cleaning chemicals for several other small breweries locally (including where I work) he is also a home brewer.
Fair to say I believe that good cleaning products and using them properly are very important and put value on a product doing the job I want without any unexpected side issues.
Often using the right chemical the wrong way can be just as bad as not using the right product, (i.e. some acids used well will remove beer stone, same chemicals will dissolve a tank at the wrong concentration) another example is the often cited notion that Citric Acid will passivate Stainless Steel, it will under certain conditions (usually adjusted temperature and time with additions of a buffer and for some grades of SS K-Dichromate and or copper salts...).
Point being that just sprinkling citric acid on a weld and saying abracadabra probably wont get a passivated weld, using the right products (some with citric) the right way will.

Cleaning and sanitizing is a vital part of the brewing process, as pointed out above the right chemicals are often less expensive than supermarket rando crud. If you think about it using a quality product from a good supplier is only going to cost you (say Perk @ $6/kg, 50 g/brew) 30 cents a brew (maybe $1 for BBW or the like).
Often complete rubbish and a bit of boiling water will do a good enough job most of the time - 1 infection or contaminated brew in a decade and you will loose more than you save trying to find a cheaper answer.
Frankly strikes me as a pretty pointless exercise, use the best product, use it properly make good beer!
Mark

PS
Sp0rk, yes I know All Pro, good for glasses and kitchen ware done a fair amount of shopping there, some good floor cleaners, glass and dish washing detergents to, not so much for brewery cleaning.
M

I do the latter. I also know the chemist who formulates the BBW, he also makes cleaning chemicals for several other small breweries locally (including where I work) he is also a home brewer.
Sp0rk, yes I know All Pro, good for glasses and kitchen ware done a fair amount of shopping there, some good floor cleaners, glass and dish washing detergents to, not so much for brewery cleaning.
M
Hmmm, might stick with the BBW then

Latest posts

Back