Cleaned Fermenter with Washing up detergent

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrew

Reaction score
Hi all,

After my first brew i left fermenter with detergent and water in over night to try and get rid of Yeasty smell. Ive since read this is a big no-no.

Anybody have any tips as to how to rinse this well enough to ensure it doesn't ruin my next batch? Or should i replace the fermenter? Or am I over reacting?

Next time should i just embrace the smell and throw in the next batch??

Cheers,

j

Boil the kettle pour it in the fermenter put the lid back on loosely and shake the crappers out of it. Do this 3 times. Then put quarter a cup of unscented nappisan in the fermenter then fill it and let it sit for 24 hrs then empty and rinse a couple of times with cold water. Just before you use it next time do the kettle and shake again.

cheers

bradsbrew said:
Boil the kettle pour it in the fermenter put the lid back on loosely and shake the crappers out of it. Do this 3 times. Then put quarter a cup of unscented nappisan in the fermenter then fill it and let it sit for 24 hrs then empty and rinse a couple of times with cold water. Just before you use it next time do the kettle and shake again.

cheers
I'd be wary of shaking a fermenter with boiling water in it if the lid is only screwed on loosely... hello burnt arms!

I use a soft yellow "antibacterial" supermarket cloth. First I hose out the fermenter. Then I use the soft cloth and dishwash detergent to clean the fermenter thoroughly, get rid of krausen ring - take the tap out and hose out the tap hole etc. Then a hose job again. Then some Sodium Percarbonate (Napisan) and swish around then leave for half an hour to digest any minute organic traces that got missed.

Then a hose job, reassemble the fermenter and shake with a bit of Starsan solution till the fermenter is filled with foam, and put it away until needed next. No need to rinse further. I don't use anything boiling, just the chemicals.

When I first started I used household bleach that, on the face of it, seems very cheap but bleach is very "sticky" and takes quite a few rinses to get rid of it. Starsan as the final treatment is very cheap in the long run and no risk of imparting a flavour.

Spiesy said:
I'd be wary of shaking a fermenter with boiling water in it if the lid is only screwed on loosely... hello burnt arms!
Been doing it for years. When i say loosely I mean not completely tight. If someone took my comment as just sit the lid on top, they probably should not be allowed to use the kettle either. Also if you have a hole in the lid for the airlock watch out for the steam shooting out of it as well.

Cheers

Bribie G said:
. I don't use anything boiling, just the chemicals.
I am on the other end of the spectrum, I avoid the chemicals and just use boiling water as the final rinse.

bradsbrew said:
I am on the other end of the spectrum, I avoid the chemicals and just use boiling water as the final rinse.
Even Napisan and Starsan/Iodophor?...
Have you ever had any issues with this?

Amber Fluid said:
Even Napisan and Starsan/Iodophor?...
Have you ever had any issues with this?
I clean and soak with 100% sod perc then rinse with water, final rinses are boiling water. I have starsan and used to use it on everything but now I just use it in the spray bottle here and there or if I am bottling a beer. No issues.

I haven't touched the inside of my jerry fermenters ever.

Rinse with hot water to remove most of the crud, then fill to just past halfway and a cap of napisan.

Put on lid tight; lay jerry on its side. Next day flip it over. Next day rinse out, let dry, lid on for storage.

Before using I remove old tap, dismantle and soak in napisan. Reassemble cleaned tap and screw on.

Starsan squirt and shake (~50ml) and rinse before filling with wort.

Detergent is the enemy of sanitiser. As the crew have said, rinse well with hot water to remove all the detergent, then sanitise. If you dont get rid of all the detergent, it will inihibit the sanitiser and you will risk infection.

I work in the Food Industry and use the same priniciples I do at work - hot water to clean - I use a sanitised chux if I need to wipe anything off, you should never have to scrub. If it is stubborn, stuck or crusty, soak in hot water to soften it. Use a food grade sanitiser, and sanitise for minumum 6 hours. I leave my fermenter full, with all the bits and pieces inside overnight, never had an issue. Make sure once you drain the sanitiser to rinse well with hot water to remove slippery residue. Food grade sanitisers also work best at a luke warm temperature - check the specs, but sanitisers dont work in boiling water - they're pretty useless over 60 degrees. 20-40 degrees is ideal.

Check the temp of your hot water tap. If your hot water temp is over 67-70 degrees, it will do a reasonable job at killing a lot of nasties, and the sanitiser should do the rest. No real need for boiling water and it's a lot safer. Still bloody hot, but it wont peel all the layers of your skin off if it makes contact.

Pickaxe said:
Use a food grade sanitiser, and sanitise for minumum 6 hours.
I use a food grade sanitiser and sanitise for a maximum of 2 minutes. Twice what it says on the bottle - I'm a cautious kinda guy.

Pickaxe said:
Check the temp of your hot water tap. If your hot water temp is over 67-70 degrees, it will do a reasonable job at killing a lot of nasties, and the sanitiser should do the rest. No real need for boiling water and it's a lot safer. Still bloody hot, but it wont peel all the layers of your skin off if it makes contact.
Sloshing a couple of litres of boiling water around in a fermenter does not stay hot enough for long enough to do any sort of job of killing nasties, so I think you are kidding yourself if reckon 67-70 deg tap water is doing anything but rinsing out your fermenter.

I used detergent in my fermenter the first couple of times after brewing to clean it out. I always thoroughly rinsed it out, and before the next brew I would wash it with some kind of brewing cleaner. I didn't have a problem, but as you already know, avoiding detergent is best, so I invested in a more appropriate cleaner and use it for all cleaning purposes.

Just get a decent brewing cleaner (unscented napisan would probably do) and fill up the fermenter with it and some really hot water and let it soak before your next brew and it should be fine. If you're a bit worried, just throw in a cheap kit brew to test and see if it comes out soapy, but I really doubt it would.

Bleach. Buy it cheap from ALDI.
Slosh a cup around for a bit and let it in the sun for a day. Either I've been drinking infected beer forever and loving it, or it really is that easy.
Why does this issue of sanitation always wind up so fcuking convoluted.

Back