Clean Your Mill Rollers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignath

"Grains don't grow up to be chips, son"
Reaction score
Just wondering, how often do you clean your mill rollers?

I typically would only clean them when the flour buildup was really noticeable, this is probably really bad practise in hind sight, and i feel kind of dirty admitting it....

Recently i've been having some problems with my mill pulling in the grain from my hopper. Today (half an hour ago) before crushing grain for brewday, i had a look at my rollers. They didn't "look" like they were that coated, but i thought about it and realised that surely if there is excessive build up of flour on the rollers, then it would struggle to grip the grain.

Pretty fucken obvious right??

Gave them a going over with the steel brush until they were all nice and shiny again.

Grain in hopper, drill on, BOOM! grain mill working again. (no shit sherlock...)

So, how often do you currently clean your rollers?

And obviously, if you have noticed a downturn in performance of your mill, then have a go at your rollers...

Please don't respond to this thread with "your a dumbass and should've figured this out earlier" as i've already beaten myself up over this enough.

Curious as to what others' regime is....

BN

"your a dumbass and should've figured this out earlier" ;)

Clean the mill's rollers?

May have to give that a try sometime.

I got the mill back in about 2009, so it may be worth a try soon.

QldKev

"your a dumbass and should've figured this out earlier" ;)

Clean the mill's rollers?

May have to give that a try sometime.

I got the mill back in about 2009, so it may be worth a try soon.

QldKev

:D

I can only guess what the rollers on your mill look like, particularly as you brew massive grain bills/volume probably as regularly as i brew doubles...

Glad that i'm not the only one with dusty rollers.

Cheers,

Nath

I brush mine down with a dedicated paint brush after every use to remove any flour.

Just a quick brush down with a dedicated paint brush followed by a couple of quick puffs from the lungs (no compressor :D ) after every use then store in a garden bag to protect from salt air & weavils.

TP

I give mine a tap tap from time to time(built myself 4 years ago) and it still make a drinkable beer... I really should get around to finishing it off though :D

:D

I can only guess what the rollers on your mill look like, particularly as you brew massive grain bills/volume probably as regularly as i brew doubles...

Glad that i'm not the only one with dusty rollers.

Cheers,

Nath

Living so close to the beach all my tools are rusty, so I rather leave a coating of flour on the rollers to protect them. Only thing I'm careful with is mixing grains like Crystal in with the main dryer grain so they don't stick to the rollers, otherwise you end up with crap on them.

Here you go, a pic from 2 secs ago.

mill.jpg

I'm with kev. Got my crankenstein in 2007 and have never done ayhting but sweep the accumulation of grain, flour and mouse shit from around the mill now and then.

Clean the rollers.....lifes too short for that stuff. :rolleyes:

:unsure: never even thought about it.. I usually just give it a good tap on the grain bucket and chuck it back in the cupboard...

:blink:

Latest posts

Back