Clean Yeast For Summer Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam

Reaction score
Hi,

Want to brew two stock beers this summer, a pseudo lager and a wheat, and can't decide which yeast to use. Does anyone know of any major differences between 1007 German Ale and 1010 American wheat?

I want it to be a top-cropping strain with low ester formation and good attenuation, which both of these seem to be.

Thanks,

Sam

Sam

An alternative if you want to do a lager. 2112 (Californian common) does a good job on lagers and is quite happy up to 19/20 C

Cheers
Pedro

I can't speak from experience using either of those yeasts but for a wheat beer some phenolic flavour is part of the style and as far as I know, the wheat yeasts are the key contributor.

As for a clean yeast, the californian lager works for me.

a yank style wheat beer is sometimes fermented with ol 1056. nice and clean and despite the packet temp range i've used it to brew up here in darwin during the wet when its around 30+ degrees without any weird flavours or bad effects. it does quite well :)

another idea is maybe 1335 (brit ale 2) and 1084 irish, i've also used them without to much problem, sitting the fermenter in a tub of water + ice bottles, the beer has been clean and drinkable.

if its a 'true' lager your after the the cali yeast is the best to, or maybe brew a kolch. its an ale/lager combo. might also be great to use in the wheat beer, two birds, 1 stone, dead.... :)

Bonk,

You have an old friend's nickname, but he lives in Quirindi.

I have used Yeastlabs A01 - American Ale for wheat and other ales, and the odd bitter (@16 C).

Never heard of 1007 as used for a wheat. Would love to hear, so do THAT!

Personally, being a "wheatie" (hence the nick), I would prefer to use a whaet yeast to produce a great wheat, and take my chances with the pseudo-lager, or just get real and make a great hoppy ale 4 Summer.

OK, just did some research (which U must've) and found this: :lol: U R laughin'

hbd forum. 1010 American Wheat. A dry fermenting, true top cropping yeast which produces a dry, slightly tart, crisp beer. Ideal for beers where a low ester profile is desirable, a good alternative for Alts and Klsch, along with American Style Hefeweizen. Flocculation - low; apparent attenuation
74-78%. (58-74 F, 14-23 C)

OK, I reseve the right to jump the gun. Further evidence on the same HDB forum page sez that U should use the 1007 and make an American wheat (where phenolics are not part of the style) and a Kolsch and a strong altbier for next Winter (up to 11% abv):

1007 German Ale Yeast.
Probable origin: Dusseldorf, Germany
Beer Style: Alt beer, American style wheat beers
Maturation: Beers mature fairly rapid, even when cold fermentation is used. Low or no detectable diacetyl, alcohol tolerance approximately 11% ABV.
This is my final decision. Nope. made my mind up. Hope it's enough info to help U make a decision, dude.

Back