Clean Ya Kegs!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgriffin

Reaction score
In the final days before moving out, i started to dismantle my beer fridge tonight. One of the jobs was to give all the lines a flush before i packed them, so i grabbed one of the 3 gal kegs to use as a washout keg. I went to take the lid off - strange, it's pressurised.

I bleed the pressure, and notice a faint bad smell, but write it off as stale air. Then i can't get the lid off - it's stuck, so i have to use a rubber mallet.

When i comes off i almost vomit from the small - seems that i somehow had put the keg back in the stack unwashed from the last use - it still had the dregs in there, which had gone rather awefull smelling (vomit anyone?)

Anyone ever gone to fill a keg to discover that it's feral?

touch wood not yet .mind you the smell from an unemptied and cleaned mash tun will raise the dead.wont do that again.

cheers
d

funny you say that jgriffin the kegs i brought home tonight had not been cleaned out for a while and that was a bit of a slap in the face when i popped the top but not as bad as what you just described but still not to pleasent..... occ

jgriffin said:
Anyone ever gone to fill a keg to discover that it's feral?
[post="82180"][/post]​
Been there and done that a few times before! :rolleyes:

I've got a 45 litre keg in the shed that last had a Weisse in it. It has been there a while > 6 months and I'd dreading cleaning it :(
I think it will be a replace the seals and o-rings job.

Doc

Trough Lolly said:
Hey Doc!
Top the sucker up and call it a Belgian!! :p

TL
[post="82197"][/post]​

or Berliner Weisse :p

Doc

Another 6 months and you'll have your own Brett factory...

TL

I bought a keg off a fellow brewer 2 years ago (2003). He'd given the game away and had just left the keg sitting in his garage.

I bought it because I couldn't argue with the price. In permanent marker on the lid was written rather like an epitaph;

Wheat beer kegged 12/3/94.

Yep, same beer was still in there and pressurised. 9 Years old at the time and the gas that bled off smelt like bad port and rotten rubbish and had actually turned almost black. :blink:

Keg cleaned up, was actually in quite good nick and is serving me well. :D

Warren -

Man, I haven't started kegging yet, but when I do, I'll definitely be cleaning them as soon as they are empty!! (which would be very soon after the beer is ready)

peas_and_korn said:
I'll definitely be cleaning them as soon as they are empty!! (which would be very soon after the beer is ready)
[post="82210"][/post]​
I have that problem... :beer: :beer: :beerbang: :beerbang:

One of my fermenters leaked onto the carpet in my brother's room. The carpet is getting ripped up in a few days.

Mum: "This house smells like a brewery!"
Ryan: "It is a brewery!"

Latest posts

Back