Classic Beer Styles Series Of Books

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
I've got two of the Classic Beer Styles Series (German Wheat and Vienna, Marzen-Oktoberfest).
The German Wheat one is excellent.
The VMO one is not as good compared to the German Wheat one. Maybe a harder style to nail down when it was written; I'm not sure.

What I want to know is what are the good ones and the ones to avoid. I was thinking of getting the Pale Ale one by Terry Foster as everything I've read by him is really well researched and written. Does anyone have it ? Comments ?

I'm not sure about the Kolsch one. The only thing I've read by Eric Warner is the German Wheat book. It was really good. Does the Kolsch one hit the mark too ?

Finally the Helles and Altbier ones should be good because they are written by Horst Dornbusch. Comments ?

The full range can be found here

TIA,
Doc

Gday Doc,
Yeah i have a few of the series, and i think they are put together really well. I agree the VMO is a little light, but i think the ones i have are great inc recipes & history. The kind of books you go back to all the time. I call em my brewing bibles! I intend to get the whole series in time
I Can really recomend:
Pale Ale
Stout
Belgian
Porter
Continental Pils
Bock
and i'm currently reading my latest aquisition ' Wheat '

I am brewing two beers tomorrow: 1 Sweet stout 2 Anglo American Pale Ale ( both recipes from the books )

Cheers

Doc

I used the Porter one as a reference for a uni assignment. It was by Terry Foster and was a good read and very informative. As per your post - his stuff is well researched and well written. I think his take on the origins & early recipes of Porter are probably the best I've read and well backed up by what facts there are on the subject.

C&B Richard.

Yeah, your spot on Plastic Man re: Porter
You have reminded me now. so i will dig it out and brew a nice Porter asap !
cheers

Back