Clarity Ferm Activity After Repitching Some Yeast Cake

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine_Brewer

Reaction score
About to use Clarity Ferm for the first time for a friend who "suffers". Does anyone know if this enzyme remains active in the yeast cake which can then be used again in a repitch or does it get used up. I'm guessing it will have a diminished effect upon reuse but I can not seem to find an answer anywhere.
Maybe an email to White Labs is in order.

It stays active, and its an enzyme so some of it will be in the yeast cake but not much, only what would be a fraction based on the total liquid volume taken with the slurry / the amount of beer. So if you did a 25L brew and took out 23L leaving 2L with the yeast cake you would have 2/25=0.08 of the amount you used.
If you leave less beer on the yeast, you would have proportionally less, if you washed the yeast even less - but always some.
Mark

I haven't used the Clarity Ferm, but have used the industrial version Clarax (same stuff - just not watered down), its very effective.
Mark

I have reused the yeast cake from a beer with clarity ferm, but I think I took the cautious approach and put more in the following batch. I would be interested to see if it works through multiple batches.

It will, but a bit like pitching yeast, in theory you could start with 1 cell and wait, and wait and wait...
Yes there will be some carry over but not enough to do the job you put it in there to do in the time the beer takes to brew.

Like yeast there is a recommended dose and reasons why.
Mark

Sounds like I need a new vial for each brew then. Would be good to be able to reuse it a little bit more. At $5 a pop it is no biggie and it will be great to get a mate to down some pilsners of mine.
But does the Clarity Ferm enzyme multiply at all during fermentation? Would like to know how the White coats grow it..

Its the product of a bacteria, that has had its genetic structure tweaked, as are most commercially made enzymes.
You aren't adding the bacteria, so no more is made during the brew.
M

MHB said:
Its the product of a bacteria, that has had its genetic structure tweaked, as are most commercially made enzymes.
Actually a fungus, Aspergillus niger, which is the same one that causes the black mould in your bathroom silicone and messes up the white paint on fermenter cladding.

These things are actually related; the ecological niche of the fungus is the ability to eat things other organisms can't touch (like the binder in the paint), so it is well endowed with useful enzymes.

Food Standards info on Brewer's Clarex

BTW the fungus (but of course not the enzyme) can cause a lung infection which is extremely diffcult to treat. I have a brother in law who's been fighting the infection for some years now. An antifungal dose high enough to kill it would also kill him.

MHB said:
You aren't adding the bacteria, so no more is made during the brew.
M
Ok great, it all makes sense now. Thanks.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
Actually a fungus, Aspergillus niger, which is the same one that causes the black mould in your bathroom silicone and messes up the white paint on fermenter cladding.

These things are actually related; the ecological niche of the fungus is the ability to eat things other organisms can't touch (like the binder in the paint), so it is well endowed with useful enzymes.

Food Standards info on Brewer's Clarex

BTW the fungus (but of course not the enzyme) can cause a lung infection which is extremely diffcult to treat. I have a brother in law who's been fighting the infection for some years now. An antifungal dose high enough to kill it would also kill him.
Just had a read through the food standards info, lucky the White Labs version is GM free otherwise my efforts for my mate would be futile..

There is no difference in GM status between the commercial product and White Labs' product. The White Labs' product is "Made with Brewer's Clarex by DSM", meaning what they've done is diluted it and repackaged it to make it easier to use on a small scale. It has therefore been produced from genetically modified organisms. If you look, the specific claim is "This product is not a GMO": well of course it isn't, it's not an organism of any kind.

It's up to you whether you consider the product is GM free for your purposes,

To be clear: I have no dog in this fight, in my opinion the "No GMO" types don't know what they're talking about. Many years ago I sampled a beer made by someone at the IOB using genetically modified yeast*. I'm not dead yet.

* The yeast was a carlsbergensis strain with the genes responsible for making diacetyl deleted, so it could make lager with no VDK rest. Didn't stop it making boring beer.

Im not 100% convinced about GM products, prefer to avoid them but it is a bit like trying to be a vegetarian. Meat products or derivatives are in everything if you look hard enough..
That claim of GMO by White lies is a little cheeky but I am glad their product will make an awesome pils for my bud who just had a tumor in his knee classed as benign. Plus no Sorghum extract..

Just a note of caution, not about endoprotease that works very well. rather about Gluten Free.
The way different countries define GF vary widely, in Australia if there is any response to an antigen test then the product is not GF, these type of tests are extremely sensitive - a bit like an allergic reaction - which is rather the point.
In America I believe there are much more liberal standards, something like less than 5ppm can be called GF.

Point being there is a wealth of difference between Gluten Intolerance and a Gluten Allergy. IF your friend is gluten intolerant he well probably be fine, if you mate has a true gluten allergy then you might kill him if you assume the beer is truly Gluten Free!

On the other hand If he has a true Gluten Allergy, I doubt he will be taking any risks, there could be enough malt dust in the air at your place to worry him.
Mark

My mum is a coeliac and the tiniest skerrick will make her unwell. I believe that exposure over time can increase cancer risk as well.

However I'm not aware of gluten causing anaphylaxis. Wheat allergy is different.

I think the biggest problem with GMO is the propensity for the patent holders to litigate. In particular, cases where GMO crops end up mixing with other crops and companies like Monsanto start demanding royalties from farmers who were never intending to have the GMO crops are problematic.

Most modern farming is producing crops and animals that have been selectively bred to have certain characteristics - that in itself is a very primitive way of genetic modification.

As long as there is diversity, rather than a global monoculture, things should be fine.

Humans are the only influence putting the balance out....while consciously understanding it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c

MHB said:
Point being there is a wealth of difference between Gluten Intolerance and a Gluten Allergy. IF your friend is gluten intolerant he well probably be fine, if you mate has a true gluten allergy then you might kill him if you assume the beer is truly Gluten Free!
I think he is in the upset tummy category. I'll let him know the supposed risks, if he is not happy I'll lager the beer for Christmas..

zorsoc_cosdog said:
Humans are the only influence putting the balance out....while consciously understanding it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c
Was in stiches watching this :D PLASTIC! ​ ​

Haven't been on this site for years, been too busy making beer. Interesting to see people using clarity ferm or clarex to make "gluten free" beer. It doesn't work, all it does is make the beer pass the ELISA test for gluten free. It is acknowledged by the manufacturer of the ELISA test that it does not work well with barley or hydrolysed proteins and is unsuitable for testing beer for gluten. This is why Australia has the tight laws around the gluten free standard.

As a coeliac myself I have tried some of these clarex treated beers and I find them no different to normal barley beer in how I react to them.

The CSIRO have done extensive research using mass spec and proven that treating barley beer with an enzyme does not make them gluten free. Hence why they have been developed the Kebari strain of barley which has been selectively bred (and some gene deletion I believe but not classed as GM) and has 1/10000th of the gluten of normal barley. You still can't use it to make gluten free beer in Australia due to our food standards but it is being sold it into Europe. I'd happily drink a beer made from this barley.

I'm sharing this not to sell more beer but to ensure that you aren't putting yourselves or others health at risk by believing that clarex makes the beer safe to consume for coeliacs.

Cheers,

Here's a link to their research https://publications.csiro.au/rpr/download?pid=csiro:EP115670&dsid=DS7

Some quotes from the article:

"Eight of the 60 beers were classified as gluten-free and the MRM assay confirmed the gluten-free status in each case. In the examination of two beers (57 and 59) that have been classified as low-gluten (<10 ppm), the relative hordein content was not dissimilar to the average hordein content across the range of beers tested. Beer 57, a Finnish barley-based product certified by the Finish Coeliac Society as containing less than 10 ppm gluten, showed low avenin-like A protein levels (~50% cf. average), but surprisingly showed significant levels of peptides derived from the B1- (>300% cf. average), D- (~105%) and γ3-hordeins (~62%). Beer 59, a Spanish lager with certification as < 6ppm gluten, showed low, but significant levels of B1-, D- and γ-hordeins (55%, 42% and 92% respectively) and equivalent levels of the avenin-like A protein to those observed in the gluten-containing beers."

"A number of gluten-free beers have appeared on the market, brewed from sorghum malt, teff, rice, millet or maize. These cereals lack the gluten proteins problematic in barley and wheat. Our results verify the gluten free status of beer brewed from sorghum, teff, rice, millet or maize. Low-gluten beers are brewed from barley malt, but the hordein concentration is reduced by proprietary processing steps during brewing to reduce the hordein content in the final beer product. Our results show that two low-gluten beers had significant levels of one or more hordein proteins."

Latest posts

Back