Clarification On A Few Keg Q's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cube

SAY MY NAME, BITCH
Reaction score
Just gone to kegs and after scouring here and other places I want to ask the following questions and hope for some simple answers:)

1. I cleaned out my newly acquired kegs with nappy san then a sterilise with no rinse bleach solution for 5 mins contact. At no rinse level and 5 minute contact will there be any damage to the kegs?

2. Natural priming with sugar is the way I will go. I used half the amount if I would bottle. Is this correct?

Cheers and I'm sure i'll find out the rest by trial and error like dispensing pressures etc.... or the kegerator manual.....

Just gone to kegs and after scouring here and other places I want to ask the following questions and hope for some simple answers:)

1. I cleaned out my newly acquired kegs with nappy san then a sterilise with no rinse bleach solution for 5 mins contact. At no rinse level and 5 minute contact will there be any damage to the kegs?

I don't think there should be any damage, but in future consider iodophor or starsan

2. Natural priming with sugar is the way I will go. I used half the amount if I would bottle. Is this correct?

Yep. Or use dextrose instead of sugar

bleach will pit stainless steel, it needs to be rinsed off, i had a keg that i soaked for a week in diluted chlorine and it ate a hole through the weld on the side, probably won't notice it using diluted bleach but over time it will damage your kegs and not to mention flavour your beer. starsan is cheap . 19 bucks for 500ml and will last about a year depending on how many brews you do.

Coopers prime their kegs at the rate of 1gm per 100ml...

I know this because Dr Tim Cooper told me when I asked him :icon_cheers:

Cheers all. I'll have to get some star san for the kegs I think and leave the bleach solution to the fermenters.

:party:

When I first recieve my 2nd hand kegs I pull the lot apart and soak the parts in a PBW solution, when putting back together fit new seals, don't forget the popet seals, and lube the lot up with CIP-film.

Latest posts

Back