Citrus Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosto

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question. I cracked open my first attempt at a wheat beer recently and, while quiet drinkable, it has a distinct citrus / lemon flavour. Here is my recipe:

1 tin TCB Wal's Wheat
500kg liquid wheat malt extract
500kg honey
12g Hallertau hop bag steeped for 10 min and added to fermenter
WB-06 yeast

This was my first brew with adding hops and my first using WB-06. Just windering where the citrus taste would be coming from? I'm thinking either the hops or the yeast. Was my last brew before I got my ferm fridge, but ferm temp was pretty stable around 18 deg.

Not a big problem. I'm not a huge fan of the taste but I'm quiet happy to drink it, and the sister-in-law loves anything with a lemon taste so she loves it.

Hallertau can give a bit of a lemony flavour, but I would expect it to be pretty subtle in this recipe. The wals kits have some hops in them a well, quite possibly hallertau as well. If it is the hops the flavour will blend in over the next few weeks anyway.

Some honeys can give a bit of citrus flavour, but that might be a bit of a long shot. I don't think it would be the yeast.

how long has it been in the bottle for anyway? It will probably be better in a couple weeks I'd suggest.

Been in the bottle for 4 weeks. I did think of the honey. I've previously used Leatherwood honey bought from the supermarket and was really happy with it. This lot was a batch my wife got from a workmate who's husband keeps bees, so not sure what variety it is or what plants the bees may have been around.

or it could be the spicy sour taste that I don't like, I can taste in all wheat beers....

Hi all,

Just a quick question. I cracked open my first attempt at a wheat beer recently and, while quiet drinkable, it has a distinct citrus / lemon flavour. Here is my recipe:

1 tin TCB Wal's Wheat
500kg liquid wheat malt extract
500kg honey
12g Hallertau hop bag steeped for 10 min and added to fermenter
WB-06 yeast

This was my first brew with adding hops and my first using WB-06. Just windering where the citrus taste would be coming from? I'm thinking either the hops or the yeast. Was my last brew before I got my ferm fridge, but ferm temp was pretty stable around 18 deg.

Not a big problem. I'm not a huge fan of the taste but I'm quiet happy to drink it, and the sister-in-law loves anything with a lemon taste so she loves it.
I find wheat malt gives beer a lemony flavour. If you don't like it perhaps cut the wheat down in your recipe.

K.

Latest posts

Back