Citrus Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanator

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of making a citrus beer and need help deciding on what kit to use. Was thinking about using a Coopers Bitter kit and making a bitter beer with a citrus twist but have not read too many good reviews about the Coopers Bitter kit.

How would the Coopers Australian Pale Ale kit go with this type of thing?

To get the citrus flavour, I was going to use lemon and orange peel. Should this be used in the primary or secondary fermentation?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

pint of lager said:
Real beer Belgian ingredients link

Have a read through the sections on orange peel, should give you some ideas. Don't forget, 5 gallons US is about 23 litres here.
[post="69432"][/post]​

POL,
sorry to correct you but 5 us gallons is closer to 19 litres. (I think that may be what you meant to type)

Borret :blink:

i would use either the coopers blonde - i have used this when making a fruit beer before...

or go with a wheat - eg morgans.

a light kit allows the fruit flavour to come through as opposed to a heavier bitter/draught kit.

Hope this helps

Thanks for correcting my post Borret, is exactly what I meant to type, 5 US gallons is 19 of our litres.

Thanks guys.

Yeah a lighter tasting beer would probably be better. An ale would just smother out the citrus flavour.

:beer:

Yes I agree, try a coopers blonde or a morgans canadian light/blonde

When I was at Morebeer in the states they gave me a beer while in the shop which was a citrus beer. It was quite nice. Was a coppery amber colour and pretty much an APA but they threw in quartered fresh oranges in the last 5mins of the boil. Yep, that's whole fresh oranges just cut into quarters and thrown in the boil.

I forget the ratio but it was at least a couple of pounds (2.5 or 5 pounds, I don't remember).

But anyway it was quite a nice beer, different but nice. Worth a thought if you wanted to experiment. It had a nice strong orange citrus flavour and actually went pretty well with the beer.

Cheers, Justin

Back