citric vs lactic acid equivalence for mashwater pH adjustment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I have used citric before, but have soft water so all I need is 5 grams. I could not notice the difference between that and equivalent lactic. Batch size 50 litres.

Mark

mabrungard said:
What? Its included in both places. What version are you using?
What indeed Sir Martin.

I was using 1.16 which does not have the option for solid acid adjustment (refer screenshot). However I just downloaded your latest version 1.18a where indeed, it is. So thankyou for that clarification and I guess I shall have to check for updates more regularly.

20170430_160158_resized_zpsaw2eai1q.jpg

Regarding the flavour thing: in wine citric is regarded as the most flavour active of the organic acids that are allowed as additions (eg those that occur naturally in grape juice and wine)* and for that reason is often added in small quantities to whites just before bottling to freshen them up. For this purpose an addition of 0.1 to 0.25 g /l is typical. Lactic is considered to be much softer and better integrated but is rarely added to wine.

This won't necessarily translate directly to beer but it provides an indication: I can think of a long list of beers that citric wouldn't suit but it might work in something where a bit of zing was desired.

*Well technically ascorbic is on this list and is even more flavour active but it's not usually added for its acid activity.

Back