Citra

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did these ones a few months back - when it was hotter!
Very smashable. both good Citrus
if I did it again I'd probably 2x the dry hops.
I would also add the 1min at flame out let it sit to 75c then add the steep for 30min then chill

citra II.JPG

citra I.JPG

Be careful with your FWH and citra, being such a high AA hop. If you were just shifting your 60 min addition to FWH, probably no difference, but a few articles on FWH recommend shifting some of your late additions to FWH. Might be OK with lower AA varieties but can give you a very bitter beer with Citra as I found out.

That said, I dialled it back a bit and did a follow up batch that was 100% BB Pale and 500g of Citra in a 6 gallon batch. For the first 2 weeks it was probably the most amazing thing I've ever brewed, lots of bright, fresh tropical flavours with a hint of citrus acidity. I was thinking of calling it Passito actually as it was that old school passito flavour (not the new stuff).

As it loses it's freshness though it does go down hill a bit. I wouldn't say banana, but more mellow tropical like a still fruit juice.

mtb said:
Yeah I put a batch down a while back. It was incredible
And what was your FG? surely you would have been mashing at 70 to get that high an FG?

I recently did an IPA that went from 1070 to 1019, and it is waaay too sweet.

From memory it was 1020, or thereabouts. I mashed at 71. The intense bitterness balanced well with the sweetness - I think that's what keeps it in check.

My last brew was Dr Smurto's with Citra instead of amarillo and 2g/l citra dry hopped. Was absolutely delicious.

I get a strong tropical and stonefruit aroma and taste from it personally. Could see how it could be overpowering in larger doses, but haven't encountered any bannana or syrupy flavours.

Back