Citra

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this hop?

• 5 - What a great hop!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - What a disgusting hop!

• 0 - Never used this hop

• Total voters
In my first couple of posts I was rabbiting on about 'mint' from the Citra. Well, I'm a third of the way through the keg and guess what, no more mint. It's gone. Now just fruit salad and faint citrus and stone fruits. A very nice drop.
I checked my recipe which showed I used Marco Polo as the bittering hop. Not dissimilar to Joecast who also detected mint, and he used Columbus, so perhaps it was the Marco Polo (aka Chinese Columbus) that was throwing the 'mint' flavours.

Tasted one of Peteoz77's latest creations done with straight Citra. Mariss Otter, Vienna and some cystal. Loved it. So much so I got some off him to do a couple of brews. Im going to brew a copy of his creation as well as a Citra Lager. I reckon it'd be great with 100% Pils (maybe a dash of crystal?) 100% Citra and done with S189. Kinda like a Knappstein/Nelson Sauvin lager which I brewed years ago and thoroughly enjoyed.
Cheers
Steve

You beat me to it Steve!

The brew was based on my 3 Legged Hound Pale Ale, but I substituted Citra for Amarillo. It was a bit more subdued than I was anticipating. However, it's a fantastic beer! My new house pale Ale I reckon.

Interesting discussion. I once took a stab in the dark with a bitter blonde. Let me elaborate....

As a kits and bits brewer that has only just come back to brewing after a ten year hiatus I have been enjoying AHB and getting some great tips that I wish I'd had last time - I might have made some better beer and kept going.

Actually it was having about 200 stubbies (full) stolen from me that broke my wee heart and sent me running back to commercial beer. Sob...

To stay on topic , I dry hopped a Coopers Canadian Blonde kit this afternoon with 12.5 g Hallertau and 12.5 g of Citra. The packets were lying around on the bench in the shed so I just retrieved them and did a little comparing between those two and a Nelson bag that was there too.

The Citra is the full fruit salad . My wife says it smells like a lychee perfume she wears. I get more passionfruit and pineapple but she might have a point.

The Hallertau is actually very similar but more muted than the Citra and (I think) a little more grassy.

The Nelson "smells like paint" according to the missus. It's an older pack so might have lost a bit of twang. Grapey is what it's supposed to be but I dunno if my nose is being tricked by what I've read but one could shut your eyes and imagine a shiraz.

This brew is an attempt to brew something cheap, quaffable and easy to get. It's in the barrel so I'll let you all know the verdict later.

The recipe , if it can be called that, was Coopers Canadian Blonde + Coopers brew booster + 12.5 g Citra 20 min boil 12.5 g Hallertau 10 min boil 12.5 g of each dry hopped for 4 or 5 days. Oh and I used the kit yeast. I've stolen someone else's idea for a name and dubbed it the "Bitter Blonde". Bitterness could be likened to slow boiled anger but hopefully my Bitter Blonde will be much more approachable than that.

The boil times were the real stab in the dark.... I have NFI but it's fun making mistakes. Open to suggestions on tweaking the recipe. Obviously a better quality yeast would be an easy option.

Maybe get the packets from either your local site sponsor or craftbrewer - the price per gram will be signficantly cheaper than buying in 12.5g lots, and the hops a lot fresher.

Goomba

Ummed and arrrred whether to post this as it wasnt something I brewed. I tasted a late hopped Citra beer yesterday and all I could taste was lemon ! It was bittered with Chinook, so I dont think thats giving the lemon. I know lemon is a citrus fruit, but this was just not what I was expecting nor what I have read about Citra. The lemon was quite strong in the after-taste. Not something I would want to risk a brew day on. Anyone want to send me a beer with late Citra that they think is good??? :unsure:

Yea I can't say I've ever got lemon from citra. Definitely the usual citra suspects of pineapple, passionfruit, lychee, etc, but don't get too much C-hop style citrus from it, especially not lemon.

Never had that from Citra. And I am currently using a fair bit of it. Only time I can remember tasting strong lemon flavours was in a Mikkeller single hop Sorachi Ace. Wasn't a huge fan of the flavour. Do you know what other hops were used?

The Zombie Dust (Three Floyds) clone is a great example and was pretty damn good. Magnum at the top for bittering then Citra all the way with whirlpool steep at the end.
This is pretty much how it went for a BIAB brew.

ZD_Clone.jpg

Hi only new to brewing but just tasted my citra cascae mix verry fruity, tastes heaps like stone wood, could do with some bittering,still real happy with it.
Greg

I have an all citra American wheat on atm that is pretty lemony. I think malt and accompanying hop choices can massively change perception of a hop.

My brewing mates and I have been experimenting with Citra lately. We've had some cracker brews and been keg hopping with it.

This is my latest recipe, a single hop Citra APA thats a few days into fermentation.

APA 37.8 IBU's - Double Batch. 2X 20L - OG 1.055. Yeast - WLP001.

4.75kg - JW Trad Ale
4.75kg - Briess Pilsner
500g - Wey Munich
500g - Briess Dark Caramel

Citra Hopped
12g @ 60
40g @ 10
60g @ 5
120g @ 0/Whirlpool

Dry hop 50g in each fermenter (3 days then CC)
Dry hop 75g in each keg for 3 days max. I will taste keg before I dry hop.

This should give me a good idea of what Citra tastes like. The smell of the wort was amazing when I was pitching the yeast.

Cheers,

I love this hop too. I've only used in as a late addition in Kit & Bits brewing but it have a powerful citrus fruit salad flavour and aroma that can really dominate the beer for those hop-heads amongst us. I cracked a few bottles of this on the weekend and my friends went a bit nuts for it;

Centicitral Cervezia

23 Liter Batch

1 x Coopers Mexican Cervizia kit.
1.5kg of Liquid Pilsen Malt
200g Caramunich 1 - steeped
150g Carapils - steeped
12g Centennial hops @ 15 min
15g Citra hops @ 10 min
18g Citra hops @ 0 min - flameout

Wyeast American II yeast

I think it was Yob who mentioned to me that Centennial and Citra went well together and he wasn't wrong! I know it's not AG but still a good way to get an idea for citra with that smooth centennial in the background. It's not going to last long :chug:

oops, just noticed that I had already posted that recipe in this thread a few months ago. serves me write for breaking out the typing fingers before having my first coffee of the day...

Latest posts

Back