Cincinatti Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archimedes24

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has tried the Cincinatti Pale Ale recipe that can be found in Chapter 1 of howtobrew.com...

Recipe
Cincinnati Pale Ale
Ingredients for a 5 gallon batch

3-4 lb. Pale malt extract syrup, unhopped
2 lb. Amber dry malt extract
12 AAU of bittering hops (any variety) For example, 1 oz. of 12% AA Nugget, or 1.5 oz. of 8% AA Perle
5 AAU of finishing hops (Cascade or other) For example, 1 oz. of 5% Cascade or 1.25 oz. of 4% Liberty
2 packets of dried ale yeast

Looking for any feedback or tweaks to the recipe.

Reckon I'll try this for my next brew.

Thanks,
A

that recipe leaves a lot of room for interpretation. with an extract beer and dry yeast, most of the character is coming from the hops. you can vary your ferment temp, which will have an effect on the final flavor of the beer as well. then there is dry hopping and using a secondary/cold conditioning.

as for feedback/advice, ive used nugget and cascade together in a pale ale and i thought they worked fine. ive even tried those hops together twice since i liked it so much the first time.
ive got another extract pale going with a bit of crystal and chocolate malt and used northern brewer for bittering and cascade/willamette for flavor/aroma. tried a bit from a gravity sample about half way though primary and it was NICE. still sweet from all the sugars, but im looking forward to it.
joe

Back