Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
I'm making my first cider, I used Aldi apple juice and Craftbrewer cider yeast.
I've pitched this a few days back, do you nomally see some activity or krausen? I can't see either.

Batz

Don't worry if your airlock isn't bubbling, mate, just do a search and you'll find plenty of comforting advice :p

:ph34r:

(Sorry, nothing productive to add)

I've pitched this a few days back, do you nomally see some activity or krausen? I can't see either.

Batz

Krausen with cider, if it exists, is vastly reduced.

Batz

Batz i have done 3 ciders for my daughter & her yuppy mates,1 was a Blackrock Apple showed no action at all in the fv.+ no action when drinking,2 was a Mangrove Jack Pear when off a like a beer brew heaps of activity & tasted allright to me a non cider drinker,actually got me nice & pissed after 3 bots.3 was a Mangrove Jack Apple + 1 ltre of apple jus with no chems in it,it went off in the fv. also hav'nt tried it yet maybe this weekend.Quest why would you use an aldi juice it probly has a good 3% reconstituted juice in & lots of other good chems that your yeast is trying to hide from. :( :( :(

Beware the darkside young batz................I feel it is strong in you :)

:lol: Thanks for your help guys :lol: :lol:

I'm going to bang out one soon also, is there a good link or repository of info which someone could suggest? I've heard they finish pretty dry, so I've heard of people blending lactose for sweetness or just apple juice. I don't have a fine enough filter to remove the yeast without kicking off another fermentation in between serving.

I'm going to bang out soon also, is there a good link or repository of info which someone could suggest? I've heard they finish pretty dry, so I've heard of people blending lactose for sweetness or just apple juice. I don't have a fine enough filter though to achieve the second option without kicking off another fermentation.

Look at simple cider in the non beer brewing section. make cider with supermarket juice - just add yeast. Will be dry, lactose will help, apple juice can be added to the glass at serving (so can sugar) or you can enjoy dry. I do. I find a blend of as many quality juices as you can gives a better result but is more pricey.

If you're at all interested in the craft, traditions and history of proper cidermaking go here and read up about French Normandy and Breton style ciders http://jimsbeerkit.co.uk/cider_1.htm

and the more English perspective here:http://www.cider.org.uk/

Also some good stuff on cider and Perry here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/scrumpy/cider/homepage.htm

More than just a drink for the ladies.

Back