Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would go fine - will still ferment almost completely out though.

You can also add malt in (forgot that one) but it will be tending more towards graff than cider, depending on how much you add in. Again - never done it.

Dark brown sugar does make an impact on body in my GBs so it would add something to a cider but I'm not sure it'd be a good thing. My GBs are far from subtle and you really notice the impact of 250g and 500g is beyond overbearing to my taste.

Another thing to add to manticle's list might be stevia. There's a bit of talk on it about the place but not much in the way of results. Never used it myself.

I tried using some paradise punch instead of all apple juice. I'd suggest putting it on the list of things not to try. It was sweeter than all apple juice but that's the only good thing I'll say about it. The one with some apple & pear juice & some lactose was better but was poured onto the yeast cake of the previous batch so some of the paradise punch was still there.

I should point out that I don't normally drink cider & only brew it for the missus so my opinion doesn't count for much.

I've tried the method of filtering and kegging the cider to keep sweetness. When the gravity hit 1.016 I moved the cider into the fridge to crash chill for 2 days. Then moved it to a keg where it sat in the fridge for another day to help get rid of a little more yeast before I putting it through my keg to keg filter. Gravity ended up getting down to 1.013. Not sure if that was due to more fermentation or the temperature it was measured. Force carbed it and 4 weeks on it doesn't appear to have lost any sweetness.

Unfortunetly i don't have a keg or a fridge i can use just yet, so my technique will have to rely on ingredients for now.

i was just reading around and found this
"1 kilo of brown sugar into a fermenter, pour in about eight litres of berri preservative free apple juice then swish it with a mash paddle to dissolve the sugar into the juice. Then I top it up with more juice to 20 litres, and get a SG of 1040 or so"

Recon a bit of dark brown sugar would go alright?

Wouldn't the dark brown sugar alter the colour of the cider??
May not look too good and may alter the subtle appleflavours :unsure:
I have used dried LME in a cider, no problems.
Would an appropriate yeast that didn't gobble up all the sugars be an answer?
I've used Wyeast 4766 cider yeast which retained the apple flavuors. It turned out dry
but not super dry but that's for my taste.
A sweet mead yeast?? Dunno, someone with more experience may be better to answer this.
Hope this helps,
My2c,
Cheers.

I have successfully used fresh juice to sweeten cider prior to serving.

This was in my keg setup and involved me using the "Presha Fruit" juice. At about $4 for 500ml's it is damned expensive but I found that I only needed about 2 bottles to knock the dryness back a few pegs. This is as close to juicing an apple into the must as you will get but has the added benefit of no nasties going into your brew. I believe the juice is all granny smith too.

As the cider was filtered, kegged and chilled (in that order), there was little to no yeast activity to worry about.

I use EC-1118 for my yeast. It's cheap, alchohol tolerant, clean but can go overly dry if you let it have it's way. Daily gravity readings after about 7 days are a must (no pun intended !)

Duck

i was just reading around and found this
"1 kilo of brown sugar into a fermenter, pour in about eight litres of berri preservative free apple juice then swish it with a mash paddle to dissolve the sugar into the juice. Then I top it up with more juice to 20 litres, and get a SG of 1040 or so"

Recon a bit of dark brown sugar would go alright?
Got a batch with Brown sugar addition brewing now 1kg to 24L of Apple Juice thinks it still gonna come out dry though, had a starting gravity of 1060, pitched a white wine yeast but after doing some research on the forums probs wanna go with a Champagne yeast for the next batch. I’m a newbie brewer and it’s my first cider attempt so we’ll see how goes

Got a batch with Brown sugar addition brewing now 1kg to 24L of Apple Juice thinks it still gonna come out dry though, had a starting gravity of 1060, pitched a white wine yeast but after doing some research on the forums probs wanna go with a Champagne yeast for the next batch. I’m a newbie brewer and it’s my first cider attempt so we’ll see how goes
Have a read of this, works well for me:

https://homebrewingaustralia.net/recipe-crisp-apple-cider/

Back