Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
I've made a few ciders, but my latest one is the best.
The key is the yeast.
I've done the same recipe with a wine/champagne yeast and it was dry. This one with the White Labs yeast is sweeter, but not sweet if you know what I mean.

Cheers,
Doc

Doc's Appeasement Cider

Black Rock Cider kit

1kg Dextrose
250gr Lactose
335gr Corn Syrup
400gr CSR Dark Brown Sugar

WLP720 (Sweet Cider/Mead) yeast

19.7 litres water.

Primary 18 days
No Secondary

OG 1056
FG 1006

7.3%

Doc,

I'm no cider drinker, but a friend loves strongbow cider, what changes would there be to your recipe to make a draught strongbow cider

Rook

I reckon this one is pretty close to the draught, not being a cider drinker myself either. The wife loved it and she doesn't like dry ciders.
Give this a go and see how your friend likes it and take it from there.

Cheers,
Doc

therook said:
Doc,

I'm no cider drinker, but a friend loves strongbow cider, what changes would there be to your recipe to make a draught strongbow cider

Rook
hey rook, i got a m8 who's into them too... get him to try 'scrumpy jacks' it's more expensive but worth it IMO :D

:huh: Hey Doc.
Where do i get that yeast from... :angry:not much to choose from where I shop.
Cheers JWB

I realise this is a hideous gravedig, but cheers for the recipe Doc. It's about time I put together a cider, so it is good to have a recipe handy.

this had tempted me to try another cider now, wasn't a real fan until recently. will give this a go for sure.

What's in the Blackrock Cider kit, Doc? Reduced apple juice?

Looks good Doc, when you say no secondary fermintation you still need to add 2 card drops per 700ml bottles?

If you want your cider carbonated, then yes, you will need to add 2 carbonation drops per long-neck.

My GF recently used the Blackrock cider kit with 1kg of dextrose and replaced 6L of water with 6L of apple juice. I think next time I'll get her to add some lactose like the Doc has done above to give it a bit more sweetness. Otherwise it's not too bad, and I'm not much of a fan of ciders.

Back