Cider Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyrrus

Reaction score
Wasn't sure whether to post this in the yeast section, but I thought I'd catch the cider heads around. I'm thinking of making up a simple cider to fill up one of my empty kegs and take to a music festival coming up. Woolworths has golden circle juice on special at the moment for $2 for 2 Litres so I figured 20 bucks for a keg isn't too shabby!

I've got a Safale S-04 yeast in the fridge but wondered how people go when using ale yeasts etc. in a cider. I want it to be nice but don't really have time to wait for a wYeast cider strain which I think I will order nontheless.

Any tips on what yeast I could use which I can get my hands on easily, or if a safale will turn out alright?

Cheers!

For what it's worth, I've heard of people having good results with S04 starting at 20. Apparently the esters work well with the apple flavor. I guess you can't pick acetaldehyde in a Cider!
I have a pack of S04 waiting for a bit of fermenter space to throw some apple juice on it.

Okay well unless anyone else speaks up (please do if you have something to say!) I guess I'll give it a shot. $20 isn't much for a gamble really although it will use up my valuable fermenter space!

I have only used s-04 in a cider once but I was very happy with the result.

I'm about to try the same recipe as well. I did a bit of reading about what yeast people have been using. And for what it was worth quite a few people actually reccomended S04 over the wyeast cider. So ill be giving S04 a shot due to being able to just pick it up from the shop. By the sounds of it i should get my arse into gear, if i want it ready for the end of Feb.

I have used 1272 for a simple cider and I was very happy with it. If you keg you can just back sweeten with fresh juice to taste.

I recently made my first cider from 18L of Aldi apple juice and a sachet of US-05. It worked out really well. I reckon S-04 should do a decent job too.

I'm a dry cider fan so generally head towards a wine or champagne yeast. My usual choices are Vintners Harvest SN9 wine yeast or Lalvin 1171 champagne yeast.

Make sure the juice you buy is preservative free.

Gave this a go last night based on this thread. Looking forward to how the experiment turns out.

Photo%2017-01-13%2019%2051%2050_small.jpg

Woolies have the $2 for 2L of Golden Circle apple juice at the moment, bought a trolley load.

I am leaning towards 2 batches, one with S-04 and the other with 4766.

Not a bit cider fan myself but my mates love the stuff

I have done one with us-05 and thought it was fine, I have just completed another using the cider yeast (dry) from CB and I think I prefer that flavour than the us-05

mxd said:
I have done one with us-05 and thought it was fine, I have just completed another using the cider yeast (dry) from CB and I think I prefer that flavour than the us-05
I'm not surprised that the cider yeast gives a better flavour. I'd say S-04 would probably be better than US-05 too. US-05 does a decent job, but I think it's a little too clean fermenting. From the info I've read, ciders with some acidity and tartness tend to be preferred by more people than the cleaner ones. I'm likely to continue using us-05 though, because it's easy and I'm lazy.

Never used a beer yeast for cider. I tend to use 4766 or a wine yeast. As long as its clean fermenting and not too estery it shoudl be OK. I wouldn't use a Belgian yeast or a heffe or anything like that. A clean fermenting ale or lager years should be fine.

Cheers
Dave

kahlerisms said:
Gave this a go last night based on this thread. Looking forward to how the experiment turns out.

Photo%2017-01-13%2019%2051%2050_small.jpg
Haha glad to see that I inspired some others! Mine's the same I wanted to keep it as simple as possible.

The OG of the juice was 1.040 so I put about 200-300g of dextrose in there as well. I ended up getting a 4766 in the end because I'm culturing some up to put in test tubes, but regardless of how this turns out I think i'll do two identical glass carboys and use a US-04 and a 4766 and have a good ol' fashioned taste off. One on the left tap and one on the right. See what people prefer. When I get the results I'll let you all know!

1.040? I measured 1.050. It was down to 1.020 yesterday (day 6) which I thought was a little on the slow side.

Slow is nice for a cider. Low and slow FTW.

RDWAHAHB.

kahlerisms said:
1.040? I measured 1.050. It was down to 1.020 yesterday (day 6) which I thought was a little on the slow side.
That's about the speed of my first cider as well. Tastes good though. Bit confusing that it doesn't have a krausen, had to check a couple times to see if it was fermenting.

Drew9242 said:
That's about the speed of my first cider as well. Tastes good though. Bit confusing that it doesn't have a krausen, had to check a couple times to see if it was fermenting.

Yeah, was hoping to have it in the keg and on its way to being carbed in time for a BBQ tomorrow, but at this rate I'm not even going to take another grav reading until next Wednesday (day 13) and see how I'm going.

Back