cider OG too high

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonno Mate

Reaction score
i started a batch of cider last night in a 20 litre bucket with 14 litres of juice, 6 litres juice reduced down to 2-3 litres, about a kilo and a half of sugar and a packet of safale us-05
as i understand us-05 can only ferment to about 8 or 9% but i have ended up with an original gravity of 1.080 and am worried that the yeast will die too early making it impossible to carbonate
there is still some space in the bucket
should i add more water or juice?
add a stronger yeast now or at bottling time?
or should i leave it and hope for the best?
any advice would be much appreciate

I would let it go and see how far the US05 goes. Have a taste and if it’s too sweet add a second higher alcohol tolerant yeast. I hear good things about Belle Saison in cider, or any dry wine yeast will work.
I find it strange that beer yeast is commonly used in cider as it’s been manipulated over years to ferment the sugars in beer. Wine yeast had been manipulated to ferment simple sugars like the ones found in....... fruit.

Good luck hope it’s a tasty cider.

I would let it go and see how far the US05 goes. Have a taste and if it’s too sweet add a second higher alcohol tolerant yeast. I hear good things about Belle Saison in cider, or any dry wine yeast will work.
I find it strange that beer yeast is commonly used in cider as it’s been manipulated over years to ferment the sugars in beer. Wine yeast had been manipulated to ferment simple sugars like the ones found in....... fruit.

Good luck hope it’s a tasty cider.
thanks, i usually use champagne yeast but had a packet of the ale yeast in the fridge and didnt feel like driving half an hour to the nearest supplies store.

i'll let it go and fingers crossed the 05 can chew through it

Did you reduce the juice by boiling?
This is not a good idea as it will give a stewed fruit flavour to the cider.

Back