Cider Making Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgaz

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a batch of apple juice fermenting in a 5 litre bottle with airlock. The juice came from Woolies (2 x 2.4 litres for $7.00) I added 1.5 cups of sugar to this and half a pack of SN9 yeast. Its very happy bubbling away in the kitchen. I wish to bottle it when ready into stubby bottles and have it fizzy. This is my first try at this so I have a few questions.

Should I wait till its finished fermenting before bottling? If so, can I still get it to do a secondary ferment in the stubbies and get the carbonation or will it be too high in alcohol for the yeast to keep working?

Your help is appreciated.

Cheers

Hi,
I have a batch of apple juice fermenting in a 5 litre bottle with airlock. The juice came from Woolies (2 x 2.4 litres for $7.00) I added 1.5 cups of sugar to this and half a pack of SN9 yeast. Its very happy bubbling away in the kitchen. I wish to bottle it when ready into stubby bottles and have it fizzy. This is my first try at this so I have a few questions.

Should I wait till its finished fermenting before bottling? If so, can I still get it to do a secondary ferment in the stubbies and get the carbonation or will it be too high in alcohol for the yeast to keep working?

Your help is appreciated.

Cheers
You should have posted this in the "Non Beer Brewing" forum but no problems.

If you leave your cider in the primary till it is totally clear then rack off to a bucket with minimal splashing add 9g of sugar per liter and then bottle. Make sure that you bottle in to glass and keep splashing to a minimum. The worst thing for ciders is oxidisation. Using SN9 with added sugar will leave you with a quite dry winey tasting cider so if you want sweet cider add some Sugarless liquid.

You should have posted this in the "Non Beer Brewing" forum but no problems.

If you leave your cider in the primary till it is totally clear then rack off to a bucket with minimal splashing add 9g of sugar per liter and then bottle. Make sure that you bottle in to glass and keep splashing to a minimum. The worst thing for ciders is oxidisation. Using SN9 with added sugar will leave you with a quite dry winey tasting cider so if you want sweet cider add some Sugarless liquid.

Thanks. Appreciate it..

Back