Cider Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballantynebrew

Reaction score
Hey fellas
Just after some pretty simple successful cider recipes ?

Cheers

Hey fellas

Cheers
Hey mate, there are some pretty cool recipes in the non beer section on here, ive also seen some pineapple stuff from google seaches.

My lady enjoys cider as well, however i have too many projects to attempt it again.. one suggestion is to stay well clear of Brigalow kits.. mine tasted like ass (first brew too so it wasnt too inspiring!)

one suggestion is to stay well clear of Brigalow kits.. mine tasted like ass

I made the brigalow kit a fair while ago and thought exactly the same thing (kegged). I pulled the keg out and put another one in as it was for a party and then I finally thought the other day, I should probably toss that cider. I put it back in the fridge to see if it tastes any better and I think it is wonderful now. It has probably been in the keg for 5 months or so tho.

Hey fellas

Cheers

PLenty of good stuff in the non-beer section of this forum. I recently tried the newly released (or so i believe) mangrove jacks cider (satchel) see here. http://www.mangrovejacks.com/core.php?psec=british_series. I tried the pear cider (apple cider fermenting as we speak) and it was very good. Bit of sweetness but not overly so. Very fruity, lots of nose and a nice fresh sort of taste (hard to describe).

Though its $40 bucks or so at my LHBS (plus 1kg of dextrose/sugar) i think it is worth it frankly given it cost me a fair bit last time making cider from fresh juices anywy.

You can use SN9 yeast instead of the supplied yeast if you want a drier finish...i know because i tried a small amount of the pear this way for testing purposes and it was a very nice dry cider style (i like mine dry but the missus doesn't).

I made the brigalow kit a fair while ago and thought exactly the same thing (kegged). I pulled the keg out and put another one in as it was for a party and then I finally thought the other day, I should probably toss that cider. I put it back in the fridge to see if it tastes any better and I think it is wonderful now. It has probably been in the keg for 5 months or so tho.

I bottled mine, haven't tossed it for the same thought.. Try it later on, apparently bad tastes can totally change in a few months or years haha
I wouldn't do another though..

I have done the preservative free apple juice with the cider yeast from Craftbrewer which turned out well.
I kegged it and then back sweetened in the glass with apple & blackcurrant cordial.
This was a real winner with the masses and did not last long!

Cheers
Robbo

I have cider on tap always.
Blackrock Cider kit.
2kg white sugar.
Kit yeast.

Make up to 20.5lt

Ferment at 18 deg for 12 days.
Chill for 2 days.

Then keg.

Enjoyed by many. Including at Qld Case swap meets.

:icon_offtopic:

G'day old mate. Long, long, long time no see. :beer:
You do the best K&K beers I have ever tasted & hope to see you at Winkle's Christmas-in-July 2012?
Get your party pants on mate.

TP

The Ladies of The House 'round these parts are after a Rekorderlig type thing, which to my mind is an alcoholic cordial. Super sweet & syrupy. I draw the limit at 500g lactose & serving over juice.
Edit: Oh, this is with 20L Berri juice (Apple/Pear/Blackberry combos) & cider yeast.

The Ladies of The House 'round these parts are after a Rekorderlig type thing, which to my mind is an alcoholic cordial. Super sweet & syrupy. I draw the limit at 500g lactose & serving over juice.
Edit: Oh, this is with 20L Berri juice (Apple/Pear/Blackberry combos) & cider yeast.

i will have to aim for something like rekorderlig's style because i got the girls some 4 packs of bulmers and i ended up drinking half of it. so would i need around 20 odd litres of jucie with my dex and yeast or ?

cheers for feedback fellas

rekorderlig is not thick or syrupy. It's just sweet. So don't aim for thick or syrupy.

All others questions could no doubt be answered from cruising the non beer b thread as mentiond. Incl recipes for rekorderlig

hey guys

i put down my first cider on the weekend which has -

12lt of apple/blackcurrant and apple juice (6lt of each)

SN9 yeast

110g lactose

yeast nutrient

added around 11 lt of water to the juice

OG - 1.30

im a little worried about it now being too watery, should i add in more lactose or back sweeten in the keg once the cider is done

cheers for advice

Hey mate, I've only done a couple of different ciders so I'm no expert but from what I understand you've used 12L of juice and topped it up with 11L of water to make 23L? That's going to be very watery I rekon, also reflected in the low OG. People usually use just straight juice with a bit of yeast nutrient and other flavour additions, but no water.

Not really sure how you would make it less watery. I'd be looking at buying a can of blackrock cider, dilute that in 1L or so of water, and bung that in your fermenter? Hopefully someone else has some more idea that me!

Hey mate, I've only done a couple of different ciders so I'm no expert but from what I understand you've used 12L of juice and topped it up with 11L of water to make 23L? That's going to be very watery I rekon, also reflected in the low OG. People usually use just straight juice with a bit of yeast nutrient and other flavour additions, but no water.

Not really sure how you would make it less watery. I'd be looking at buying a can of blackrock cider, dilute that in 1L or so of water, and bung that in your fermenter? Hopefully someone else has some more idea that me!

i do agree fuzzy, i reckon it will be watery now.

not sure if it would be wise to add in my can of brigalow cider can after 6 days fermenting or if its probably best to add some juice to taste when its keg time

hmmmm

:unsure:

Yeah that will be to watery. You could try and add a cider kit to the secondary which would bring it back to where it should be.

Back