cider idea any thoughts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotgun23

Reaction score
hello all this is my first post on the forum I have only recently started brewing again after about 8 years, only I have decided to start ciders aswell.
Looking over some of the cider recipes and information on this forum I wanted to try and make something different. Here is what I thought of doing, I want your opinion and suggestions on what I can do to improve this recipe and if it will even work.
3 kgs of strawberries sliced and placed in a sauspan with 1kg of Dextrose or sugar and simmer allowing strawberries to stew then mix with a stick mixer. Add a can of coopers cider to wort, strain the strawberrys and sugar and mix through.
add the juice of 4 limes . 500gms of Lactose and 5 litres of apple juice with no preservatives then finish off with water to 23 litres.
Any thoughts.

I presume you are trying to copy Rekorderlig Strawberry & Lime Cider?

Sounds like you're going to make 3 kilos of strawberry jam and add that into a cider... Do you want your cider to taste like jam or strawberries? If I were to go down this path, i'd do something more like this:

Skip the can of coopers cider.
Get 23L of 100% Apple juice
Ferment with champagne or cider yeast
Rack onto 3kgs of frozen strawberries for another week
Add the lactose if you want it to be sweet (I personally cant stand sweet cider)
Add the lime juice at kegging / bottling time - test first to see if it even needs it.

You may want to look up a few cyser recipes to get some other ideas / tips at making this sort of thing.

Boiling strawberries will give you a cloudy cider. Nothing wrong with that though.
If you would like the cider to remain clear, you will need to add some pectin enzyme.

The kit cider can may also contain lactose or artificial sweeteners.
It way be a better option to finish fermenting and then add in the lactose to suit your tastes.

phoneyhuh said:
I presume you are trying to copy Rekorderlig Strawberry & Lime Cider?

Sounds like you're going to make 3 kilos of strawberry jam and add that into a cider... Do you want your cider to taste like jam or strawberries? If I were to go down this path, i'd do something more like this:

Skip the can of coopers cider.
Get 23L of 100% Apple juice
Ferment with champagne or cider yeast
Rack onto 3kgs of frozen strawberries for another week
Add the lactose if you want it to be sweet (I personally cant stand sweet cider)
Add the lime juice at kegging / bottling time - test first to see if it even needs it.

You may want to look up a few cyser recipes to get some other ideas / tips at making this sort of thing.
can you explain the rack of 3kgs of strawberries to me, yes I was trying to make soemthing simmilar to rekorderlig.

treefiddy said:
Boiling strawberries will give you a cloudy cider. Nothing wrong with that though.
If you would like the cider to remain clear, you will need to add some pectin enzyme.
I boil up 3kg of stawberries in apple juice for my cider. Done it twice now and the first was crystal clear and the seconds about to be kegged and is looking as good. The current batch has about 5 litres of juiced apples picked from a tree i was given. I've tried several ways of getting the strawberry flavour in to cider and find boiling is best for me. The missus loves it.
The boiled strawberrys and apple juice is awesome on vanilla icecream too as i found out.

Only problem with boiling is that it tasted of boiled strawberries rather than strawberries. More like strawberry jam. If that's what you want then go for it. If you want it to taste like fresh strawberries then avoid boiling.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks for you replies guys, not sure which way i will go yet, but i know that which ever way i go I recon my missus will be happy with the outcome.

Latest posts

Back