Cider health benefits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Old treatise on the benefits of ye cyder - apparently it prevents disorders of the choleraic nature, as well as gout, rheumatics and bladder stones, these guys seem to have got the biochemistry well nailed.

Not mentioned, but I fart a lot less on cider.

edit: I see they mention malic acid - did I see a post by manticle about adding that to the brew?

I usually add a touch of malic and a touch of tannic to mine.
I need to research malolactic fermentation further - my current additions are a bit whim based but 5g each in 20 L added pre-ferment seems to give desirable results.

My cider is super healthy.

If you use a percentage of high acid apples (grannies for example) ytou don't need to add malic. Likewise if you use a percentage of high tannin apples (I use crabs), you don't need extra tannin.

Cheers
Dave

DrSmurto said:
Drinking a highly acidic liquid neutralises acid? :blink:

*Takes chemistry text books and puts them in the bin*
No.. no... its sub-acidic -

Chemically the sub-acid juices of the apples become converted by combustion within the body into alkaline salts, which neutralize all the gouty elements wherewith they meet.
And those sub-acids are combusted wherewith. :blink:

Its all so obvious really.

The age of a treatise is often inversely correlated with accuracy. Old <> Good.

Well I drink lots of cider and I don't get gout so it must be true. It is well known that port causes gout.

Though my cider is 8-9% this year so that makes it even more healthy? If cider vinegar is good for you, cider must be as well.

I'd guess that every glass of cider contains a certain amount of apple cider vinegar.

DrSmurto said:
Drinking a highly acidic liquid neutralises acid? :blink:

*Takes chemistry text books and puts them in the bin*

I have not had a broken leg since I started drinking cider so you can add that to the list of benefits. Cider prevents broken legs.

And oesophagus cancer.

That's because tigers prefer it to real meat.

However it does cause serious consternation at the local Coles, I mean what crazy mofo ever comes in with a trolley and cleans them out of every 3L bottle of juice in the store? I believe our local ordering manager is on stress leave.

Back