Cider Fizzy Fermentor Issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indorat

Reaction score
Hello all,

Last night I kegged a apple cider that had been in the fermentor for three weeks and noticed that it was fizzy when entering the keg and bottles. I am putting this down to some light carbonating. The seal I used on the fermentor was glad wrap with 2 rubber bands. This is the first time I used rubber bands and I think this may have been too tight and then caused the cider to carbonate inside of the fermentor. Has anyone has this happen to them before? and will this cause additional problems with alcohol level or over carbonation inside of the bottles?

Cider recipe:
-20L of Aldi non pres apple juice
-500g lactose
-400g dextrose
-red star Champaign yeast

I cannot provide starting gravity measurements, but final was 1.2 at 15degC

There will be some CO2 in solution in the wort.
This could cause the fizziness.

Same thing happened to me on my first cider:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=67513
and I was also a bit nervous.
I didn't attempt to carb very high anyway, but after 2 weeks no bottle bombs and the PET bottle is not as hard as the fully carbed PET beers on the shelf next to it. No taste test yet.
Another cider I started on the same day as the above, I bottled a few days later. I pulled the glad wrap away a little the day before, just for a moment, to release any over-pressure from CO2. It showed no fizzyness when I bottled it the next day. Probably an unneccesary step in hindsight.

I haven't used lactose but the 1.002sg (I assume :p ) seems right for a bit of unfermentable sugar in there (in my very limited experience).

Kegged 2 diff batches of cider today. Both doing the same fizzy looking kraussen-esk look. it just happens sometimes.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It is good to get some reassurance when unexpected things happen.

I tasted the kegged cider last night. The lactose gives it a nice sweetness without an overpowering flavour; I would happily recommend people to use lactose in their ciders given the ease of use. Alcohol presence was definitely there, it got me buzzed to the point where I fell asleep watching the latest dull movie I had come across (Jeff, who lives at home).

Thanks for the feedback guys. It is good to get some reassurance when unexpected things happen.

I tasted the kegged cider last night. The lactose gives it a nice sweetness without an overpowering flavour; I would happily recommend people to use lactose in their ciders given the ease of use. Alcohol presence was definitely there, it got me buzzed to the point where I fell asleep watching the latest dull movie I had come across (Jeff, who lives at home).
Given ur ingrediants it should be more than 6%, so u shouldnt have gotten buzzed anymore than you would habe gotten from any other 6% alc beverage.

Cider needs some time to condition to reach peak drinkability

Regardless its good u like what u have made.

Given ur ingrediants it should be more than 6%, so u shouldnt have gotten buzzed anymore than you would habe gotten from any other 6% alc beverage.

Cider needs some time to condition to reach peak drinkability

Regardless its good u like what u have made.

I know... I was buzzed because I drank too much.

I like to condition most things I make, but there are some dire times in my shed at the moment. 200 empty bottles and an empty keg. This cider and my housemates jungle juice being the only things I have to gobble atm.

Latest posts

Back