Chunky Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Iguana

Reaction score
I've just taken a whitelabs 'Dry English Ale' vial out of the fridge to make up a starter...it looks really strange.....there are chunks in it, looks as if it' seperated or curdeled.....anyone else seen this before, should I ditch it or persevere ?

Cheers

p.s the vial is quite old (used by sep 04) however has always been keep refridgerated.....

I've seen that before (maybe that yeast??) i think it's just a sign of yeast that really clumps together well, although i may be wrong.
make a starter, and smell and taste it, if the starter is ok then use it.

GI

Are there any strands in it, or is it just clumped together? jgriffin is right in starting it up and trying it, If it has strands that is bas as it will be an infection.

Cheers
Pedro

No strands, looks like scrambled eggs.....I'll give it a go.

Cheers

GI,
The yeast is fine, I use that strain for almost all of my ales, it is a great attenuator and clears beautifully at the end of fermentation :D . It looks chunky because it flocculates so well and sticks together in lumps. when you rack your brew after fermentation you will find a huge yeast cake and if you swirl this around it looks like runny scrambled egg :huh: . I usually keep 2 x 750ml bottles of this for my next couple of brews ;)

Andrew

Back