Chugger pumps (SS heads!)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iralosavic

Reaction score
I know some folk on here are aware of Chugger pumps and hanging out for them to release a 230-240v version. Well, they've arrived!

The version 2 of each pump model is the 230v variant.

For the record, I have not purchased one (although I will if my brown pump dies or becomes redundant) and am in no way affiliated. I just did a forum seach and noticed no recent activity on the topic, so this is just an "I'm personally excited for the community"/"FYI" post.

(I haven't noticed a local distrubutor pop up yet, but I've heard rumour that there will be one).

Cheers

hmm, was considering a kaixin from KK. This looks like a better option.

Just bear in mind that the thread type on the head is only really compatible with NPT. If anyone can find female QD to female NPT, link me! All US suppliers seem to offer are male to male and they suggest using a coupling socket...

booargy said:
1/2 and 3/4 npt are close enough to bsp to fit.
Really? I've personally had problems where the female won't mate beyond the first two threads, causing leaks :/

iralosavic said:
Really? I've personally had problems where the female won't mate beyond the first two threads, causing leaks :/
keifer33 said:
Did you use some thread tape?
I thread tape the shit out of everything!

I'll try a few fittings and leak test again tonight. If I can use BSP both male and female into NPT 1/2, I will be happy as it simplifies the crap out of everything! And this also means group buys for Chuggers = no further importing necessary (for fittings).

Btw the chugger website says the thread is MPT. Is this a typo? I can't see any references in Google to MPT hmm

my googlefu tells me that MPT stands for male pipe thread, a male NPT. Confusing innit. :huh:

I literally just emailed these guys asking if they did 220-240v pumps...now i look stupid :(

felten said:
my googlefu tells me that MPT stands for male pipe thread, a male NPT. Confusing innit. :huh:
I wrote to them and asked if MPT was an error, because I know that they have stated that NPT fittings are required. In the same email I asked what the difference is between the inline and the centre variants, as I have no idea about anything pump related other than the orientation of the in/outlets and subsequent hose directions, I don't know of any other reasons for going one way or another.

And a lot of people say that you should run your hose down and up into the inlet and the outlet up against graivty to purge more air and improve priming, which could influence the type of pump head if orientation is the only real consideration.

According to the mechanical fitters I work with. The TPI is the same but the pitch of the thread is different. So for low pressure it will seal properly. they have also told me the thread tape should fill the thread. Never had a problem.
something else to watch for you have BSP parallel and taper. parallel male won't fitt female taper.

Feldon said:
I think that MPT means a male NPT threaded fitting (and FPT means female NPT threaded fitting)

Edit: Just looked at Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_pipe_thread. Says it refers to "Male Pipe Thread"
Should be MNPT haha now I'll look especially retarded too. Nonetheless, better safe than sorry. I'm hoping the rep will educate me on the in-line vs centre option. Am I abnormal for having no idea about pumps? I like to drink beer, so I make it myself, that's about it!

iralosavic said:
Am I abnormal for having no idea about pumps? I like to drink beer, so I make it myself, that's about it!
I'm sure you'd rather be a great brewer that a great plumber.

I've got one of these in the ss centre inlet version but it's the 110v version. I just couldn't wait for them to release the 230v version and I had a step down converter already for a 110v jumbo stir plate I had.
These pumps are an awesome pump for the price and you can tighten the shit out of the fittings without fear of breaking the thread on the stainless head.
I highly recommend them.

Feldon said:
I'm sure you'd rather be a great brewer that a great plumber.
This is true!
Hippy said:
I've got one of these in the ss centre inlet version but it's the 110v version. I just couldn't wait for them to release the 230v version and I had a step down converter already for a 110v jumbo stir plate I had.
These pumps are an awesome pump for the price and you can tighten the shit out of the fittings without fear of breaking the thread on the stainless head.
I highly recommend them.
Glad to hear good feedback (its all over the US forums too).

Did you use BSP fittings on yours or import NPT ones?

So basically, get the inline model with 1/2" on both connections and BSP is fine. Now I just wait and find out what the practical differences are between inline and centre and see if there is any reason to even contemplate centre at all. They both have same flow ratings in the specs. You can still mount inline so the inlet is vertically down to minimise air etc

* I guess you could put a reducing coupling 3/4 to 1/2", not that I can find one on Google, but if they don't exist then 3/4 socket first then a hex reducing bush such as this:

image.jpg

Back