Chuck Hahn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gough

Maintain the Rage!
Reaction score
G'day fellas,

I got to meet and talk to Chuck Hahn at a dinner and tasting here in Newcastle last night. He was a really nice bloke and happy to talk brewing and his beers in particular. Among other things he said that the 2005 version of the JS Australian Strong Ale is at the packaging stage and should be out soon. I quizzed him about the differences between the '03 and '04 versions and he agreed that the first batch was the better beer and that this year's will be more like the '03. He considered last year's to have a 'bit too much crystal' malt, and that he was happier with this year's.

So anyway, to those of us who thought there had been a change to last year's Aust Strong Ale, we weren't dreaming and this year's model should, according to the man himself, be back to the strengths of the first batch. So keep an eye on the bottlos it should be in soon. After the way he was talking about it last night I can't wait to try it.

A good bloke who happily put up with my dozens of questions :beerbang:

Shawn

He is a really nice guy isn't he Gough. Really approachable and easy to talk to.

That is great news regarding the JS Strong Ale.
I'll be looking forward to it again this year now.

Beers,
Doc

I have a few bottles of the 2004 strong ale sitting about, and by now they're much much better compared to when they came out.

I'm looking forward to the 05 version, I'll sit down and do a comparison.

It would be good to be able to A-B them. I'd love to hear your opinion. I liked the '04, just thought it wasn't quite as good as the '03. Chuck seemed really happy with the new one and I can't wait to try it!

Shawn.

I still have an '04 one as well. It is still in the fridge because I wasn't impressed with it.
I'll do a side-by-side with the '05 too, just like I did the '03 and '04.

Beers,
Doc

I went into my local bottle-o on early this week and spotted the JS Strong Ale on the shelves. :D Without much thought I grabbed a 6 pack and hurried home to consume.

When I got home, I realised that it was last years batch. The cheeky buggers had been storing it off the shelves over the warmer months. :angry:

I drank it anyway. No better, or worse than it tasted last year. I'll grab a couple more tonight to have alongside the 2005 when it is released.

I thought the Great Northern was having a JS night with Chuck being the guest on the 21st. Tickets werre $35. Is this still on or was that it, last night?

G'day Macr,

I think it is the Northern Star on Beaumont Street that is having the function on the 21st. I'm aiming to make it to that as well. You going?

Last night's was at Wests. Was a top night.

Shawn.

I will try to make the one on the 21st and yes you were right, it is the Northern Star. It is only a short distance to travel if the train stops at Waratah.

Back