Chuck Hahn In Adelaide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE DRUNK ARAB

Zen Arcade
Reaction score
For those of us in Adelaide.

"Have you ever wanted to meet those illustrious men that brew your favourite liquid? Now is your chance!
Chuck Hahn, Brewmaster and Managing Director of the Malt Shovel Brewery will be in South Australia next week doing a series of stops at various pubs to give you a chance to MEET THE BREWER.
Dazzle him with your wit, impress him with your knowledge of brewing, ask him a question, or just follow him from pub to pub and who knowshe might buy you a beer!
Find Chuck at the following outlets on:

Monday 16th August
From: 6pm till 7pm @ Wheatsheaf Hotel, 39 George Street, Thebarton
From: 7.30pm till 8.30pm @ Maylands Hotel, 67 Phillis Street, Maylands

Tuesday 17th August
From: 5pm till 6pm @ Kings Head Hotel, 357 King William Street, Adelaide
From: 6.30pm till 7.30pm @ Caledonian Hotel, 219 OConnell Street, Adelaide"

Going by the questions the CUB brewer had to field at the international beer festival, I don't think I'll miss out on much if I don't go.

A few of us made it to the wheatsheaf last nite.
All in all it was a good hour or so just drinking Little creatures and complaining the MSB beers didn't really cut the mustard.
They didn't have the IPA on tap so we didn't try that, the porter however was great as usual. But one amoung us even piped up and told Chuck that the pils was 'chuck' not in those words as such but you get the idea. Chuck piped up and said the pils was his favourite. (maybe he has a supply of the malt shovel brewery brewed one cause the new one is average at best).
After the pils sucks comment we were left wondering now he's not gunna buy us all a beer. :huh:
Anyway the only MSB beer i had was a porter which chuck shouted and a few taste tests of the amber and pils. the rest of the hour i went through the LC pils, rogers and a few pale ales all on tap.
The LC pils left the MSB pils for dead although you couldn't really pick the saaz hops in it, it was great.
Anyway it was a good hour drinking little creatures at a MSB show. :eek: :D
'Some' notes for those interested on the brewing side of things,
Chuck said the amber uses the fullers yeast and finishes at 1.014 with 50 ibu.
The porter uses two different crystal malts and roasted wheat malt.
He then started talking about the homebrew cans to our group of six all grain brewers which none of us could careless about. :ph34r:

anyway if your able to make it tonite to one of the pubs listed go and have a beer with chuck and have some beery fun.

Jayse

Yes 50 ibu sounds totally wrong john, i think what chuck was talking about there would have been the IPA, we were talking about the amber though when he came up with that, i have a feeling he was talking about the IPA. sorry i should have been paying more attention rather than downing LCPA.

Jayse

Jayse,
When I read this I was a little surprised , I quite like MS pis
Now at first I thought perhaps you guys don't like saaz , but know a hop taste would not turn you off a beer
OK
I think it maybe the Adelaide weather??
Pis in winter? not a good choise

You liked the porter , understandable I too like this brew , how would you like it in the middle of summer?

Just a thought here guys , I know the temperture make a big difference in what beer I drink

No I am not working for MS now , OH , I don't like their IPA

:blink: Batz :unsure:

I don't know, Batz but I'll drink the porter in summer and the Pils in winter anytime! When you're in a pub it's all the same to me.

A few months ago I went to the Chuck Hahn dinner in North Brisbane which was 6 courses matched with 6 beers for $50. It was one of the best value functions I've ever been to. Chuck was very entertaining and accessible, the food was fantastic and there was no shortage of beer. if I liked a beer and asked for another one, they just gave me one and I still got the other 5 with the other courses. We also got 2 James Squire ale glasses, included. IMO the best food/beer pairing was the JS Porter with vanilla ice cream and fresh strawberries. The porter tasted like rich chocolate mud cake and was amazing.

Unfortunately I didn't get many brewing secrets from Chuck - only that Hahn Premium uses hersbrucker hops for flavour and aroma.

Cheers - Snow

I agree Snow

Just wondered why 6 all grainers considered MS pils as average or "chuck"

Oh well I suppose it's all a matter of personal taste , better not send Jayse my JS pils clone :p

Batz :ph34r:

Hi batz,

I can't really blame the cold weather, as you know i could drink a cold lager if i was a eskimo.
When iam in a pub after i just got dressed up to go out ussually the ambient temp is neither hot or cold iam just thinking beer me. :chug:

I know what you mean about beers for when its hot or cold.
I know if iam sitting here freezing the last thing i feel like is a pils but i would kill for a strong ale.
That really was not the case the other nite standing around in a warm crowded bar, every beer was good.

Just for the record (and to drop his name in it) Pedro was the one who mentioned to chuck the pils was not as good and expected and he certainly does know his pilsners.

Most of you know i'll drink almost anything anytime.

cheers Jayse

Jayse
I'm planning a visit soon to Adelaide, other than the Belgian Beer cafe where else are there decent beers on tap. Is the LCPA permanently on tap at the Wheatsheaf?

Hi Mikem108,

If you are in Adelaide on Saturday the Fourth of Sept. there is a brew day on at Goliaths on Brighton road Somerton Park and these days are usually pretty good value.
You will get to meet a lot of forum fellas have a beer and talk beer.

Grumpys is not a bad place to go and try their beers and have a pizza - both are excellent.

I am not in Adelaide myself but I am sure one of the other guys will put you right as far as the pubs and micros to visit.

Cheers,

jayse said:
Just for the record (and to drop his name in it) Pedro was the one who mentioned to chuck the pils was not as good
Yeah, thanks Jayse, this will not be forgotten ;)

Thanks Mate
Went to Grumpy's last visit in Oct 2003, very friendly pleasant afternoon.

Couldn't believe that I found a Delirium Tremmens gift pack at the Paradise Hotel!
When I was last there many years ago they had trouble even understatnding the word Heineken! now thats progress.

Latest posts

Back