Chrome Or Stainless Shank ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davem

Reaction score
G'day all,

I am upgrading my fridge and one of my tap shanks is too short to reach through the door of the new fridge.

My question - is it worth paying extra for a stainless shank ?

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

cheers !

Not sure mate, will the taps you are attaching be stainless or chrome?

Cheers,
D80

They'd be chrome plated, right?

Probably not going to be a massive difference in the two, if they are both kept in good condition, but the all stainless will take more of a beating - and consequently probably last a little longer.

If the difference in price isn't a big issue, go stainless. I just did with my new shanks (en route).

Thanks Guys,

I have early Perlicks which are stainless. Not too worried visually, more concerned with hygiene and (non) taste. I have plated ones now and they have discoloured which concerns me with tainting..

It's easy, if you have stainless taps then also get stainless shanks (otherwise, what's the point in having stainless taps in the first place?). If you have chrome taps, then don't bother, unless you're planning to upgrade your taps to stainless.

If you can afford to go SS straight up, then definitely do it.

Means they won't (re: shouldn't) need replacing in the future...

Especially good with stainless that you can chuck it in most cleaning agents (non-chlorine based) and soak them for ages without issue.

If you can afford to go SS straight up, then definitely do it.

Except if you get cheap SS shanks and the centre bore meets in the centre roughly and causes turbulence :(

Anyone got any ideas on a way to fix this issue?

If you can afford to go SS from a reliable seller straight up, then definitely do it.

Just fixed up my post :D

Except if you get cheap SS shanks and the centre bore meets in the centre roughly and causes turbulence :(

Anyone got any ideas on a way to fix this issue?

hmmm I think that the only real remedy is to redrill it properly to a larger diameter which may or may not impact its function. I'm guessing not many people will have the right tools for this.

Are you able to claim a manufacturing fault from the guys you bought it from ?

hmmm I think that the only real remedy is to redrill it properly to a larger diameter which may or may not impact its function. I'm guessing not many people will have the right tools for this.

Its basically a solid threaded rod of SS, obviously its been drilled from both ends, rather than right the way through, and where the bores meet, they don't line up great. Good thing is its not a barbed item.

Are you able to claim a manufacturing fault from the guys you bought it from ?

I don't think i'd get very far, that's the problem with ordering stuff from the US.

Its only after a good year or so later that I've finally decided that's the problem. Most of my 4 SS shanks have the mismatch in the centre bore, but to varying degrees, the worst is perhaps 0.7 mm out, and is almost unusable without slowing the flow to a dribble, the others work well enough

But definitely a trap for people looking for cheap SS shanks.

Latest posts

Back