Christmas Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wax

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Red Oaks "Christmas Cheer" ? An ale that tastes like christmas pudding... yummm.

I want to try and so something similar for next christmas. I was thinking about using a pretty standard pale ale grain bill and use the guts of a christmas pudding recipe I grabed off the net as adjuncts.

4000g Trad Ale Malt
225g Light Munich
125g Wheat
====
250g sultanas
250g raisins
250g currants
250g glazed cheerys
125g mixed peel
125g dates
cup brown sugar
mixed spice
teaspoon nutmeg
====
Hops - 15g Pride of Ringwood pellets (60 mins)
35g Hallertau pellets (30 mins)
20g Hallertau pellets (10 mins)
====
Yeast - Not sure, probably WLP001 California Ale, just because I have some on hand
====
All the chistmas pudding recipe's I've found include cup of rum or brandy. I was thinking I should add that just before cc'ing.

I've never attempted anything like this before, in fact I've never used adjuncts in any of my brews. I would really appreciate any comments and advise.

sorry more questions... for those who have used these or similar adjuncts, when and how should I add them. As I said, I've never tried anything like this before and haven't a clue what i'm doing.

I suspect dark crystal or cararoma added to the grain bill might be more effective in adding raisiny plummy tastes than adding mixed fruit, but I dont know cos Ive never tried it, maybe add both for good measure.

If you are determined to add mixed fruit, add them to the boil - there are plenty of organisms living on the surface of your average sultana. I'd be inclined to give them a wash first too, just in case the chemicals used to dry them could affect the beer.

Personally, I'd be more inclined, as Guest Lurker suggests, to brew a nice fruity dark ale and some spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, corriander seed, etc) to the boil.

Thanks guys. So dried fruit = bad idea.

I might just do a search around for some spicey / friuty ale recipes

I have been doing an Xmass ale for many years, if you are going to add dried fruits my advice is
* You don't need much and add them to primary after a wash in very hot water... try not to add to boil
* select VERY carefully as many if not most contain vegetable oils .... not much chop on head retention.
* spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg work good, and again not much just a little at end of boil
* choc- malt and cara-aroma are your friends!
* belgian abbey and trappist type yeasts help
*don't put a coin in the bottle!

Back