Chris White Chat Transcript

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boots, thanks very much for the download. I had missed reading the transcript somehow.

HBD has a great range of brewing articles. Well worth while for any brewer to go and have a browse. It has to be one of the best brewing links on the internet.

Top of the list in no order are brewery.org (same as HBD) craftbrewer.org and homedistiller.org

They have excellent content and from there you can follow the links pages for days and days of reading.

Good pickup Boots and lots of great info. I found the following interesting from Dr White:

Quote: I don't like airlocks, I don't think they are needed in primary. I say keep them off and only put on when fermentation starts to slow down. Prior to that, some loose foil is all you need on top

and also:

[cwhite] For lagers, you need to raise the temperature to ~65 for 1 week, starting when the beer is about 1.020. If you go much lower then that, the yeast will not be working strong enough to take up the diacetyl.
[cwhite] For ales, you only need to go 24-48 hours post terminal gravity, since you are already at ~65 F temperatures. This is why lagers will taste buttery later, you can't taste the precurser, and once you remove the yeast, it will turn into diactyl later.

Doc said:
He also did a chat on the Brewboard this week.
You can get the transcript here

Beers,
Doc
[post="45889"][/post]​
Actually fellas, this transcript is originally from the HBA Brewboard Sunday Night Chat. It also appeared on HBD and NB if I'm not mistaken. The guys at HBA do a great job of attracting guests for intelligent brewing discussions.

Back